DHFL to raise $70 million from IFC

Will use them to increase its reach and market share

Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL), the second largest private housing finance company, will raise $70 million from the International Finance Corporation (IFC).

The proposed fund raising, which is subject to approval from the Reserve Bank of India, is intended to help grow its assets, increase its reach and improve its market share.

According to IFC, this would involve a Senior loan of up to $70 million to DHFL, a co-investment from the Canada Climate Change Program (CCCP) where will act as implementing entity for CCCP to support climate change investments.

Established in 1984, DHFL's objective is to provide affordable housing finance options to the lower and middle income groups in India. DHFL offers both housing loans (house purchase, construction, extension and project loan) and non-housing loans (loan against property, lease rental financing, and purchase of commercial premises).

Its shareholders include the Wadhawan family and other promoters who hold 36% stake while the remaining 64% stake is in the public domain (institutional shareholders hold 43% and other bodies corporate/individuals hold the balance 22% stake).

IFC said that it's investment would demonstrate the viability of offering housing finance to LMI clients. While housing finance is one of the lowest risk asset classes in India's financial sector, mainstream commercial institutions have so far shown limited interest in this segment.

DHFL is dependent on banks for 70% of its funding needs. Funding from IFC will ensure diversity of funding profile for the company.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

DHFL to raise $70 million from IFC

Will use them to increase its reach and market share

T E Narasimhan  |  Chennai 



Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL), the second largest private housing finance company, will raise $70 million from the International Finance Corporation (IFC).

The proposed fund raising, which is subject to approval from the Reserve Bank of India, is intended to help grow its assets, increase its reach and improve its market share.


According to IFC, this would involve a Senior loan of up to $70 million to DHFL, a co-investment from the Canada Climate Change Program (CCCP) where will act as implementing entity for CCCP to support climate change investments.

Established in 1984, DHFL's objective is to provide affordable housing finance options to the lower and middle income groups in India. DHFL offers both housing loans (house purchase, construction, extension and project loan) and non-housing loans (loan against property, lease rental financing, and purchase of commercial premises).

Its shareholders include the Wadhawan family and other promoters who hold 36% stake while the remaining 64% stake is in the public domain (institutional shareholders hold 43% and other bodies corporate/individuals hold the balance 22% stake).

IFC said that it's investment would demonstrate the viability of offering housing finance to LMI clients. While housing finance is one of the lowest risk asset classes in India's financial sector, mainstream commercial institutions have so far shown limited interest in this segment.

DHFL is dependent on banks for 70% of its funding needs. Funding from IFC will ensure diversity of funding profile for the company.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

DHFL to raise $70 million from IFC

Will use them to increase its reach and market share

Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL), the second largest private housing finance company, will raise $70 million from the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL), the second largest private housing finance company, will raise $70 million from the International Finance Corporation (IFC).

The proposed fund raising, which is subject to approval from the Reserve Bank of India, is intended to help grow its assets, increase its reach and improve its market share.

According to IFC, this would involve a Senior loan of up to $70 million to DHFL, a co-investment from the Canada Climate Change Program (CCCP) where will act as implementing entity for CCCP to support climate change investments.

Established in 1984, DHFL's objective is to provide affordable housing finance options to the lower and middle income groups in India. DHFL offers both housing loans (house purchase, construction, extension and project loan) and non-housing loans (loan against property, lease rental financing, and purchase of commercial premises).

Its shareholders include the Wadhawan family and other promoters who hold 36% stake while the remaining 64% stake is in the public domain (institutional shareholders hold 43% and other bodies corporate/individuals hold the balance 22% stake).

IFC said that it's investment would demonstrate the viability of offering housing finance to LMI clients. While housing finance is one of the lowest risk asset classes in India's financial sector, mainstream commercial institutions have so far shown limited interest in this segment.

DHFL is dependent on banks for 70% of its funding needs. Funding from IFC will ensure diversity of funding profile for the company.
image
Business Standard
177 22
Widgets Magazine

More News

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard