You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

Riding on sops, Infosys to finally open maiden chapter in West Bengal

Cabinet approves concessions in lieu of earlier request for SEZ status for 50-acre lot at Rajarhat

Avishek Rakshit  |  Kolkata 

Infosys

Riding on sops to compensate for the lack of a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) status, information technology (IT) major is set to mark its entry in

Its plan is to invest Rs 100 crore and build a campus on a 50-acre lot that can employ up to 1,000 people. The state government, in a Cabinet meeting on Friday, cleared the proposal whereby a "mixed development" model has been offered to the company.

Partha Chatterjee, the state's parliamentary affairs minister, said after the meeting that of the 50 acres granted, 49 per cent will be on lease and used for IT purposes. The other 51 per cent will be freehold land; it may be used for any purpose deems fit. Industry departments officials say freehold land implies the ownership has been transferred and, hence, the company has an option to sell that part if it wishes.

Earlier, when land was formally allotted to in November 2011, a 99-year lease for the entire 50-acre lot was agreed upon. Chatterjee claimed the earlier Left Front government's agreement with was that 75 per cent of the land would be used for IT and IT-enabled services. The other 25 per cent could be used as the company deemed fit. "However, had asked for conversion to freehold land, to which the Cabinet has consented," he said.

has already paid Rs 75 crore for the lot in Rajarhat, on the fringes of the state's capital, for the campus. It is estimated the current market value of the land given is at least Rs 1,000-1,250 crore.

The company was offered land at a concessional rate in 2010 by the Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation (WBHIDCO) as a 'special case'. It was felt the IT giant's entry would lead to skilled job creation. During 2006, under the former Left Front regime, co-founder, Narayana Murthy had expressed a desire to open a campus in the state. However, the project faced problems in land pricing and the former Chief Minister had to eventually step in to get the allocation done at a concessional rate in the WBHIDCO area.

The company's expectation, then, was to operate under status. However, the same year, the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government, which was against the grant of any status, came to power. Although the company pursued with the state authorities the status idea, the new government didn't consent. That put the project in a limbo. The same thing happened with another IT giant, Wipro, on it request for a second campus in the state.

This year, at an event organised by Nasscom, apex association of the IT sector, Banerjee said that after March 31 this year, by the rule, no new licences could be issued.

The state government discussed benefits other than status with these and things were worked out. In December last year, the state government got the Municipal Corporation Bill enacted, which provides a maximum 50 per cent exemption in property tax for land or buildings used exclusively for IT and IT-enabled services, for a period of 12 years.

Wipro

At the moment, while the government has offered conversion of leasehold land to freehold for Infosys, a similar proposal hasn't been given to for a second campus.

"Proposals for the second campus have been given by the state government but it doesn't include conversion of leasehold land to freehold land," said an official in

Industry officials say the government might be testing the sops with and is likely to come up with benefits similar to those offered for

Earlier, Rishad Premji, chief strategy officer at Wipro, during a visit to the city, had said the company was in talks with the government to come up with "newer opportunities and proposals other than SEZ".

First Published: Sat, September 09 2017. 00:36 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU