OVL keen on stake in Russia's Arctic oil and gas fields

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company Rosneft expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures

Ltd, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), is eyeing stake in Russia's ambitious Arctic Ocean oil and gas projects with US supermajor and Italian energy giant ENI.

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures announced to explore for oil and gas beneath Arctic Ocean, sources privy to the development said.

has signed separate deals with ExxonMobil, ENI and Norway's for three multi-billion dollar projects in coastal seas north of Russia.

Under the agreements, the foreign get about 33% stake in the joint project with and pay for all of the initial exploration cost.

Sources said OVL wants to give a part of its about 67% stake in one of the three projects.

In case is not able to accommodate OVL in any of the three existing projects, the Indian flagship firm wants to join one of the 12 Arctic shelf fields that Russia plans to offer in near future.

For the future projects, OVL has proposed that if is unable to give 33% stake like those offered to or ENI, because of its lack of experience, it would settle for a 8% interest. can offer 25% stake to any other foreign firm, they said.

In the Arctic projects, would hold around 67% participating interest and the foreign partner - remaining 33%. All expenditure at the exploration stage shall be borne by the foreign partner.

In addition, the foreign partner shall be paying a premium to based on the oil or gas discovered.

OVL, sources said, is keen to get a foothold in the Arctic projects and expand in Siberia and Far East Russia.

Foreign firms are seeking new deals after Moscow proposed to lift all export duties for new projects in the Arctic shelf that US Geological Survey estimates may be home to 30% of the planet's undiscovered natural gas reserves and 13% of its undiscovered oil.

According to a preliminary estimate, total operations in the Arctic might require $250-400 billion investment to tap up to 160 billion barrels of undiscovered oil.

The first stage of exploration for projects with Exxon Mobil will cost about $3.2 billion while Eni and will spend around $1 billion each.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are now roughly tied in oil production, each pumping around 10 million barrels a day. To maintain this level, however, Russia will need to develop new areas because its fields in Siberia are in decline.

The first exploration well in the Arctic Ocean blocks would be drilled only in 2020.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

OVL keen on stake in Russia's Arctic oil and gas fields

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company Rosneft expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Ltd, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), is eyeing stake in Russia's ambitious Arctic Ocean oil and gas projects with US supermajor and Italian energy giant ENI.

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures announced to explore for oil and gas beneath Arctic Ocean, sources privy to the development said.

has signed separate deals with ExxonMobil, ENI and Norway's for three multi-billion dollar projects in coastal seas north of Russia.

Under the agreements, the foreign get about 33% stake in the joint project with and pay for all of the initial exploration cost.



Sources said OVL wants to give a part of its about 67% stake in one of the three projects.

In case is not able to accommodate OVL in any of the three existing projects, the Indian flagship firm wants to join one of the 12 Arctic shelf fields that Russia plans to offer in near future.

For the future projects, OVL has proposed that if is unable to give 33% stake like those offered to or ENI, because of its lack of experience, it would settle for a 8% interest. can offer 25% stake to any other foreign firm, they said.

In the Arctic projects, would hold around 67% participating interest and the foreign partner - remaining 33%. All expenditure at the exploration stage shall be borne by the foreign partner.

In addition, the foreign partner shall be paying a premium to based on the oil or gas discovered.

OVL, sources said, is keen to get a foothold in the Arctic projects and expand in Siberia and Far East Russia.

Foreign firms are seeking new deals after Moscow proposed to lift all export duties for new projects in the Arctic shelf that US Geological Survey estimates may be home to 30% of the planet's undiscovered natural gas reserves and 13% of its undiscovered oil.

According to a preliminary estimate, total operations in the Arctic might require $250-400 billion investment to tap up to 160 billion barrels of undiscovered oil.

The first stage of exploration for projects with Exxon Mobil will cost about $3.2 billion while Eni and will spend around $1 billion each.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are now roughly tied in oil production, each pumping around 10 million barrels a day. To maintain this level, however, Russia will need to develop new areas because its fields in Siberia are in decline.

The first exploration well in the Arctic Ocean blocks would be drilled only in 2020.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

OVL keen on stake in Russia's Arctic oil and gas fields

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company Rosneft expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures

ONGC Videsh Ltd, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), is eyeing stake in Russia's ambitious Arctic Ocean oil and gas projects with US supermajor ExxonMobil and Italian energy giant ENI.

Ltd, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), is eyeing stake in Russia's ambitious Arctic Ocean oil and gas projects with US supermajor and Italian energy giant ENI.

OVL on May 4 wrote to Russian state oil company expressing interest in taking stake in one of the three joint ventures announced to explore for oil and gas beneath Arctic Ocean, sources privy to the development said.

has signed separate deals with ExxonMobil, ENI and Norway's for three multi-billion dollar projects in coastal seas north of Russia.

Under the agreements, the foreign get about 33% stake in the joint project with and pay for all of the initial exploration cost.

Sources said OVL wants to give a part of its about 67% stake in one of the three projects.

In case is not able to accommodate OVL in any of the three existing projects, the Indian flagship firm wants to join one of the 12 Arctic shelf fields that Russia plans to offer in near future.

For the future projects, OVL has proposed that if is unable to give 33% stake like those offered to or ENI, because of its lack of experience, it would settle for a 8% interest. can offer 25% stake to any other foreign firm, they said.

In the Arctic projects, would hold around 67% participating interest and the foreign partner - remaining 33%. All expenditure at the exploration stage shall be borne by the foreign partner.

In addition, the foreign partner shall be paying a premium to based on the oil or gas discovered.

OVL, sources said, is keen to get a foothold in the Arctic projects and expand in Siberia and Far East Russia.

Foreign firms are seeking new deals after Moscow proposed to lift all export duties for new projects in the Arctic shelf that US Geological Survey estimates may be home to 30% of the planet's undiscovered natural gas reserves and 13% of its undiscovered oil.

According to a preliminary estimate, total operations in the Arctic might require $250-400 billion investment to tap up to 160 billion barrels of undiscovered oil.

The first stage of exploration for projects with Exxon Mobil will cost about $3.2 billion while Eni and will spend around $1 billion each.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are now roughly tied in oil production, each pumping around 10 million barrels a day. To maintain this level, however, Russia will need to develop new areas because its fields in Siberia are in decline.

The first exploration well in the Arctic Ocean blocks would be drilled only in 2020.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard