Strike by around 14,000 contract workers of Neyveli Lignite Corporation has led to a 600-MW shortfall in power generation since this morning and affected lignite production, an NLC official said today.
The indefinite strike entered the sixth day today.
NLC Deputy Engineer Paneerselvam said 1,890 MW was generated today out of NLC's total capacity of 2,490 MW. Over 80% of Lignite production in Mine 1 and 1A had been affected. Lignite production today was 9,000 tonnes against the daily production of 45,000 tonnes, he said.
He said special mining equipment like giant bucket wheel excavator have not been overhauled due to the strike and are not operational. Most of the striking workers are at the maintenance section of the mines and thermal units, he said.
The workers are demanding regularisation of their services in a phased manner and implementation of the 'equal pay for equal work' formula among other things.
Yesterday, the fourth round of conciliatory tripartite talks in Puducherry ended in failure, with workers unions deciding to continue the strike as the management was firm that workers call off the stir as a pre-requisite to resolve the issue.
Trade union leaders had stuck to their stand that NLC vacate the petition in the Supreme Court contesting the demand for regularisation of the contract workers.
Earlier, talks held on April 11, 19 and 24 had failed to resolve the standoff.