The ten day long strike by cross section of workers at Hyundai's factory near Chennai was called off today after the state Labour Department intervention. The management has agreed to revoke the suspension pending enquiry proceedings against the 20 suspended workers.
Union sources said that today the meeting was held between the management and the Union in the presence of Joint Commissioner of Labour and Assistant Commissioner. As the Government requested the stike has been withdrawn.
According to company's statement the illegal disruption of work since October 30, 2012, has been called off by a section of workers affiliated to the CITU backed minority union.
The statement added 20 workers had been suspended during this period.
In the proceedings held before the Commissioner of Labour, B Chandra Mohan, an agreed advise letter was given by the Joint Commissioner of Labour.
As per the terms of the agreed advise given by the joint commissioner of labour, the agitating workers have been directed to withdraw the illegal disruption of work unconditionally and return to their duty from the first shift of November 9, 2012.
The principle of no work no pay will apply to all workers who abstained from work during the said period.
The workers have been advised not to indulge in any work disruption in the future and also to settle all issues through amicable discussions.
The management has agreed to revoke the suspension pending enquiry proceedings against the 20 suspended workers, except 5 workers against whom a domestic enquiry will be initiated, said in the statement.
The CITU affiliated Union, which was spearheading the strike, has also agreed to the terms of the wage settlement entered between the Hyundai management and the management recognised union – UUHET.