UTV hunts for strategic partner for UTVi

Within a year of the launch of its English business channel UTVi, the UTV group has decided to rope in a strategic partner with a "significant stake". According to investment banking sources, the company is looking at raising between Rs 100 crore and Rs 125 crore from the strategic partner on a valuation of about Rs 200 crore.

The funds are needed to meet losses for the next two years, sources said. The channel, which was launched in April 2008, earns around Rs 2 crore a month and incurs an operating monthly cost of Rs 7.25 crore.

As a result, its monthly loss is around Rs 5 crore, translating into an annual loss of around Rs 60 crore, sources said. The losses are mainly on account of a fall in advertising revenues, a problem afflicting the media industry as a whole.

is one of the three leading English business news channel with a market share of 5 to 6 per cent in the business news genre. CNBC TV18 and NDTV Profit are the other two competitors, and the market is expected to grow crowded with the impending launch of ET NOW from Bennett, Coleman & Co.

The promoters have already invested around Rs 170 crore through equity and debt. Rohinton (Ronnie) Screwvala and his family invested Rs 20 crore as equity and own 80 per cent of the company. The remaining 20 per cent is owned by UTV Software Communications, which invested Rs 40 crore as equity and gave a loan of Rs 50 crore, sources said. The company has also raised additional debt of Rs 60 crore.

When contacted, Screwvala declined to comment, saying that it was “too premature” to do so.

Under current broadcasting norms, a single Indian promoter group needs to own a minimum of 51 per cent in a news broadcasting channel.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

UTV hunts for strategic partner for UTVi

Arun Kumar & Ashish Sinha  |  New Delhi 



Rohinton (Ronnie) Screwvala

Within a year of the launch of its English business channel UTVi, the UTV group has decided to rope in a strategic partner with a "significant stake". According to investment banking sources, the company is looking at raising between Rs 100 crore and Rs 125 crore from the strategic partner on a valuation of about Rs 200 crore.

The funds are needed to meet losses for the next two years, sources said. The channel, which was launched in April 2008, earns around Rs 2 crore a month and incurs an operating monthly cost of Rs 7.25 crore.

As a result, its monthly loss is around Rs 5 crore, translating into an annual loss of around Rs 60 crore, sources said. The losses are mainly on account of a fall in advertising revenues, a problem afflicting the media industry as a whole.

is one of the three leading English business news channel with a market share of 5 to 6 per cent in the business news genre. CNBC TV18 and NDTV Profit are the other two competitors, and the market is expected to grow crowded with the impending launch of ET NOW from Bennett, Coleman & Co.

The promoters have already invested around Rs 170 crore through equity and debt. Rohinton (Ronnie) Screwvala and his family invested Rs 20 crore as equity and own 80 per cent of the company. The remaining 20 per cent is owned by UTV Software Communications, which invested Rs 40 crore as equity and gave a loan of Rs 50 crore, sources said. The company has also raised additional debt of Rs 60 crore.

When contacted, Screwvala declined to comment, saying that it was “too premature” to do so.

Under current broadcasting norms, a single Indian promoter group needs to own a minimum of 51 per cent in a news broadcasting channel.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

UTV hunts for strategic partner for UTVi

Within a year of the launch of its English business news channel UTVi, the UTV group has decided to rope in a strategic partner with a "significant stake". According to investment banking sources, the company is looking at raising between Rs 100 crore and Rs 125 crore from the strategic partner on a valuation of about Rs 200 crore.

Within a year of the launch of its English business channel UTVi, the UTV group has decided to rope in a strategic partner with a "significant stake". According to investment banking sources, the company is looking at raising between Rs 100 crore and Rs 125 crore from the strategic partner on a valuation of about Rs 200 crore.

The funds are needed to meet losses for the next two years, sources said. The channel, which was launched in April 2008, earns around Rs 2 crore a month and incurs an operating monthly cost of Rs 7.25 crore.

As a result, its monthly loss is around Rs 5 crore, translating into an annual loss of around Rs 60 crore, sources said. The losses are mainly on account of a fall in advertising revenues, a problem afflicting the media industry as a whole.

is one of the three leading English business news channel with a market share of 5 to 6 per cent in the business news genre. CNBC TV18 and NDTV Profit are the other two competitors, and the market is expected to grow crowded with the impending launch of ET NOW from Bennett, Coleman & Co.

The promoters have already invested around Rs 170 crore through equity and debt. Rohinton (Ronnie) Screwvala and his family invested Rs 20 crore as equity and own 80 per cent of the company. The remaining 20 per cent is owned by UTV Software Communications, which invested Rs 40 crore as equity and gave a loan of Rs 50 crore, sources said. The company has also raised additional debt of Rs 60 crore.

When contacted, Screwvala declined to comment, saying that it was “too premature” to do so.

Under current broadcasting norms, a single Indian promoter group needs to own a minimum of 51 per cent in a news broadcasting channel.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Widgets Magazine

More News

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard