Business Standard

Welspun wins solar project in Madhya Pradesh

The project, which will cost about $225 million, will be set up in about 18 months

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Group, the country's largest developer, has won a 125 MW solar project in Madhya Pradesh, a top company official said today.

"We bid Rs 8.05 per unit to bag the 125 megawatts (MW) out of 200 MW that was auctioned by the Madhya Pradesh government," Energy Ltd Managing Director Vineet Mittal said here.

After the formal award of the project, Solar Madhya Pradesh Pvt Ltd will put up one solar project of 100 MW and another of 25 MW capacity.

Mittal said the project will cost about $225 million and will be set up on barren tract of land in Mandsaur and Neemuch district of Madhya Pradesh in 18 months.



The project would be funded in 75:25 debt-equity ratio, he said adding typically, a project costs Rs 9-10 crore per MW.

"Solar energy will become a game-changer and I expect it will reach grid parity by 2015," Mittal said.

Grid parity means tariff equalling that of thermal power.

Madhya Pradesh conducted the auction through 'reverse bidding' process under which it would award projects to those who offer to sell power at the best (least) rates.

It received bids for 430 MW for its tender for 200 MW, from 12 developers like Azure (which submitted a bid for 5 MW), BGR Energy (10 MW), Essel Infra Properties (30 MW) and IL&FS (50 MW).

Mumbai-based Alpha Infraprop Pvt Ltd submitted the lowest bid of Rs 7,900 per megawatt-hour, or Rs 7.9 per unit, for 20 MW of capacity. This is about 13 per cent lower than the global average for a project using crystalline panels.

Simplex Infrastructure Ltd and Acme Tele Power Ltd (ATPL) followed with bids of Rs 9.59 per unit and 12.45 a unit.

Mittal said Energy plans to add about 250 MW in the new and renewable energy projects during current fiscal. By 2015-16, it is targetting a portfolio of 1,750 MW, 60 per cent of which will be wind energy and remaining 40 per cent projects.

It currently operates 30 MW of plants in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan and recently bagged a 50 MW project in Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) bidding.

The company plans to set up solar farms with a total capacity of 100 MW in Andhra Pradesh and has signed agreement to set up 500 MW of wind power projects in the state.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Welspun wins solar project in Madhya Pradesh

The project, which will cost about $225 million, will be set up in about 18 months

Welspun Group, the country's largest solar power developer, has won a 125 MW solar photovoltaic project in Madhya Pradesh, a top company official said today.

Group, the country's largest developer, has won a 125 MW solar project in Madhya Pradesh, a top company official said today.

"We bid Rs 8.05 per unit to bag the 125 megawatts (MW) out of 200 MW that was auctioned by the Madhya Pradesh government," Energy Ltd Managing Director Vineet Mittal said here.

After the formal award of the project, Solar Madhya Pradesh Pvt Ltd will put up one solar project of 100 MW and another of 25 MW capacity.

Mittal said the project will cost about $225 million and will be set up on barren tract of land in Mandsaur and Neemuch district of Madhya Pradesh in 18 months.

The project would be funded in 75:25 debt-equity ratio, he said adding typically, a project costs Rs 9-10 crore per MW.

"Solar energy will become a game-changer and I expect it will reach grid parity by 2015," Mittal said.

Grid parity means tariff equalling that of thermal power.

Madhya Pradesh conducted the auction through 'reverse bidding' process under which it would award projects to those who offer to sell power at the best (least) rates.

It received bids for 430 MW for its tender for 200 MW, from 12 developers like Azure (which submitted a bid for 5 MW), BGR Energy (10 MW), Essel Infra Properties (30 MW) and IL&FS (50 MW).

Mumbai-based Alpha Infraprop Pvt Ltd submitted the lowest bid of Rs 7,900 per megawatt-hour, or Rs 7.9 per unit, for 20 MW of capacity. This is about 13 per cent lower than the global average for a project using crystalline panels.

Simplex Infrastructure Ltd and Acme Tele Power Ltd (ATPL) followed with bids of Rs 9.59 per unit and 12.45 a unit.

Mittal said Energy plans to add about 250 MW in the new and renewable energy projects during current fiscal. By 2015-16, it is targetting a portfolio of 1,750 MW, 60 per cent of which will be wind energy and remaining 40 per cent projects.

It currently operates 30 MW of plants in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan and recently bagged a 50 MW project in Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) bidding.

The company plans to set up solar farms with a total capacity of 100 MW in Andhra Pradesh and has signed agreement to set up 500 MW of wind power projects in the state.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Welspun wins solar project in Madhya Pradesh

The project, which will cost about $225 million, will be set up in about 18 months

Group, the country's largest developer, has won a 125 MW solar project in Madhya Pradesh, a top company official said today.

"We bid Rs 8.05 per unit to bag the 125 megawatts (MW) out of 200 MW that was auctioned by the Madhya Pradesh government," Energy Ltd Managing Director Vineet Mittal said here.

After the formal award of the project, Solar Madhya Pradesh Pvt Ltd will put up one solar project of 100 MW and another of 25 MW capacity.

Mittal said the project will cost about $225 million and will be set up on barren tract of land in Mandsaur and Neemuch district of Madhya Pradesh in 18 months.

The project would be funded in 75:25 debt-equity ratio, he said adding typically, a project costs Rs 9-10 crore per MW.

"Solar energy will become a game-changer and I expect it will reach grid parity by 2015," Mittal said.

Grid parity means tariff equalling that of thermal power.

Madhya Pradesh conducted the auction through 'reverse bidding' process under which it would award projects to those who offer to sell power at the best (least) rates.

It received bids for 430 MW for its tender for 200 MW, from 12 developers like Azure (which submitted a bid for 5 MW), BGR Energy (10 MW), Essel Infra Properties (30 MW) and IL&FS (50 MW).

Mumbai-based Alpha Infraprop Pvt Ltd submitted the lowest bid of Rs 7,900 per megawatt-hour, or Rs 7.9 per unit, for 20 MW of capacity. This is about 13 per cent lower than the global average for a project using crystalline panels.

Simplex Infrastructure Ltd and Acme Tele Power Ltd (ATPL) followed with bids of Rs 9.59 per unit and 12.45 a unit.

Mittal said Energy plans to add about 250 MW in the new and renewable energy projects during current fiscal. By 2015-16, it is targetting a portfolio of 1,750 MW, 60 per cent of which will be wind energy and remaining 40 per cent projects.

It currently operates 30 MW of plants in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan and recently bagged a 50 MW project in Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) bidding.

The company plans to set up solar farms with a total capacity of 100 MW in Andhra Pradesh and has signed agreement to set up 500 MW of wind power projects in the state.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard