You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

2008 Malegaon blast case: Lt Col Purohit released from jail after 9 years

Six people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008 at Malegaon

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

Who is Lt Col Shrikant Purohit, the man accused in Malegaon blast case
Lt Col Shrikant Purohit. Photo: PTI

Having spent around nine years in prison, Lt.Col. on Wednesday walked out of the Taloja jail in neighbouring Navi after being granted bail by the Supreme in the case.

After coming out of the prison at around 10.45 am, he was taken in a car. A team of Military Police and of the Army escorted Purohit to a military station at south

Purohit was in jail for his alleged role in the case, in which the apex granted him bail on Monday.

A bench of Justices R K Agrawal and A M Sapre had said that they were setting aside the April 25 order of by which the bail was denied.

Six people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008 at Malegaon, a communally sensitive textile town in Nashik district of north Maharashtra.

Purohit was yesterday produced before the special NIA here which is hearing the accused on framing of charges in the Malegaon blast case.

In the afternoon, Purohit's lawyers in Delhi approached the Supreme Court, seeking modification of bail conditions.

Purohit's lawyers then initiated the procedure for getting a release order, which the special NIA issued in the evening.

Police yesterday escorted Purohit back to Taloja jail near a little after 6.30 pm. An Army vehicle had reached there to take Purohit, but it left after realising that he may not come out as formalities for his release will take some more time.

Today, all the legal formalities were completed following which Purohit was released.

Purohit yesterday said he wanted to rejoin the Army as soon as possible.

"I want to wear my uniform. It is outermost layer of my skin. I am wedded to it. I am very happy to get back into the service of the best organisation in the country if not the world, the Indian Army," he told reporters outside a sessions where had been brought for a hearing on framing of charges.

"I have two families — the Army and my family which includes my wife, my two sons, sister and mother. I cannot wait to return to them," he said.

The Army didn't "let me down", said Purohit.

While granting bail to Purohit two days back, the apex said there were "material contradictions" in the charge sheets filed by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and the Investigation Agency (NIA), which are required to be tested at the time of trial, and it cannot pick or choose one version over the other.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, August 23 2017. 17:17 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU