The first case of fire
in Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone
inside an aircraft in India was reported on Friday, prompting aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to summon the company officials and ban the onboard use of this series of devices of the South Korean major.
The case was reported inside an aircraft at the time of landing at Chennai airport
on Friday, but the name of the carrier could not ascertained immediately.
With the latest incident, the DGCA
has asked airlines to advise passengers to switch off their Samsung Galaxy Note phones while on-board.
The move also comes two weeks after the watchdog banned the use of Samsung Galaxy Note7 onboard an aircraft following a series of incidents of the smartphone's battery exploding in various countries. However, this is the first incident of the Samsung device catching fire
onboard in India.
The crew had to use fire
extinguisher to put off the smoke and following the incident, the DGCA
has called in Samsung officials to meet on September 26, sources added.