You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News » Demonetisation
Business Standard

Demonetisation: Apparel sales down 30-40% on liquidity hit but improvement expected

Despite the onset of wedding season, the situation in apparel retail market remained unchanged and saw sharp decline in sales

Dilip Kumar Jha  |  Mumbai 

Apparel sales down by 40-50 per cent
Apparel sales down by 40-50 per cent

The $100-billion Indian textile and industry has lost 30-40% of business since the surprise announcement of of high value currency notes on November 8.

sale in domestic markets had stopped in the initial days and recovered gradually. Consumers continue to face liquidity tightness, resulting in deferring of purchase. Hence, further recovery might take some time.

As the wedding season is on, this would affect the revenue and profit of manufacturers, as purchase is seasonal or occasional.

"The effect on denim sales is even worse. While exports are not affected, the decline in domestic retail sales would definitely hit sales and profit," said R K Dalmia, chairman, The Cotton Textiles Export Promotion Council.

Market participants believe output needs to be curtailed to control supply and avoid long-period discounting and stock clearing sales.

Sameep Kasbekar, an analyst with Emkay Global Financial Services, said in a note on Aditya Birla Fashion & Retail: "Due to of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes, there has been a sharp dip in cash (45% of overall) sales and slowdown in overall retail consumption. The company expects such headwinds to persist for at least a quarter more."

The sector, however, has hailed the overall scheme as good for the long term, on expectations of transparency in the entire value chain. Many handloom, powerloom and cottage fabric manufacturers continue to operate largely in cash. Any business with retail connections generates unbilled amounts; in garments, a large section of retailers at the bottom of the pyramid deals largely in cash, without generating bills. is expected to curb all unbilled sales.

"The disruption is obvious. Initially, sales were down completely. With the availability of new currency notes, sales have improved to around 60%. We expect to gain till 85% in some time. Recovery of the remaining 15% would take some time, depending upon liquidity management of the Reserve Bank of India," said Naishadh Parikh, Chairman, Confederation of Indian Textile Industry.

He expects some announcement shortly of new measures by the government to enhance liquidity into the system.

Demonetisation: Apparel sales down 30-40% on liquidity hit but improvement expected

Despite the onset of wedding season, the situation in apparel retail market remained unchanged and saw sharp decline in sales

Despite the onset of wedding season, the situation in apparel retail market remained unchanged and saw sharp decline in sales
The $100-billion Indian textile and industry has lost 30-40% of business since the surprise announcement of of high value currency notes on November 8.

sale in domestic markets had stopped in the initial days and recovered gradually. Consumers continue to face liquidity tightness, resulting in deferring of purchase. Hence, further recovery might take some time.

As the wedding season is on, this would affect the revenue and profit of manufacturers, as purchase is seasonal or occasional.

"The effect on denim sales is even worse. While exports are not affected, the decline in domestic retail sales would definitely hit sales and profit," said R K Dalmia, chairman, The Cotton Textiles Export Promotion Council.

Market participants believe output needs to be curtailed to control supply and avoid long-period discounting and stock clearing sales.

Sameep Kasbekar, an analyst with Emkay Global Financial Services, said in a note on Aditya Birla Fashion & Retail: "Due to of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes, there has been a sharp dip in cash (45% of overall) sales and slowdown in overall retail consumption. The company expects such headwinds to persist for at least a quarter more."

The sector, however, has hailed the overall scheme as good for the long term, on expectations of transparency in the entire value chain. Many handloom, powerloom and cottage fabric manufacturers continue to operate largely in cash. Any business with retail connections generates unbilled amounts; in garments, a large section of retailers at the bottom of the pyramid deals largely in cash, without generating bills. is expected to curb all unbilled sales.

"The disruption is obvious. Initially, sales were down completely. With the availability of new currency notes, sales have improved to around 60%. We expect to gain till 85% in some time. Recovery of the remaining 15% would take some time, depending upon liquidity management of the Reserve Bank of India," said Naishadh Parikh, Chairman, Confederation of Indian Textile Industry.

He expects some announcement shortly of new measures by the government to enhance liquidity into the system.
image
Business Standard
177 22

Demonetisation: Apparel sales down 30-40% on liquidity hit but improvement expected

Despite the onset of wedding season, the situation in apparel retail market remained unchanged and saw sharp decline in sales

The $100-billion Indian textile and industry has lost 30-40% of business since the surprise announcement of of high value currency notes on November 8.

sale in domestic markets had stopped in the initial days and recovered gradually. Consumers continue to face liquidity tightness, resulting in deferring of purchase. Hence, further recovery might take some time.

As the wedding season is on, this would affect the revenue and profit of manufacturers, as purchase is seasonal or occasional.

"The effect on denim sales is even worse. While exports are not affected, the decline in domestic retail sales would definitely hit sales and profit," said R K Dalmia, chairman, The Cotton Textiles Export Promotion Council.

Market participants believe output needs to be curtailed to control supply and avoid long-period discounting and stock clearing sales.

Sameep Kasbekar, an analyst with Emkay Global Financial Services, said in a note on Aditya Birla Fashion & Retail: "Due to of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes, there has been a sharp dip in cash (45% of overall) sales and slowdown in overall retail consumption. The company expects such headwinds to persist for at least a quarter more."

The sector, however, has hailed the overall scheme as good for the long term, on expectations of transparency in the entire value chain. Many handloom, powerloom and cottage fabric manufacturers continue to operate largely in cash. Any business with retail connections generates unbilled amounts; in garments, a large section of retailers at the bottom of the pyramid deals largely in cash, without generating bills. is expected to curb all unbilled sales.

"The disruption is obvious. Initially, sales were down completely. With the availability of new currency notes, sales have improved to around 60%. We expect to gain till 85% in some time. Recovery of the remaining 15% would take some time, depending upon liquidity management of the Reserve Bank of India," said Naishadh Parikh, Chairman, Confederation of Indian Textile Industry.

He expects some announcement shortly of new measures by the government to enhance liquidity into the system.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard