A sitting MP of the Congress in the 15th Lok Sabha, Somabhai Patel’s candidature from Limbdi was meant to be winning nomination for the Congress. Belonging to the Koli community, Patel started his political career at the district level with the BJP in Viramgam in Gujarat. One of the least educated Congress candidates in the fray, Patel managed to pass his 5th grade in school. He valued his wealth at a little over Rs 7 crore. Despite his low educational credentials, Patel went to acquire vast tracts of agricultural land and residential buildings in his and his wife’s name across Gujarat. Hw was pitted against BJP’s Kiritsinh Rana in the polls.
- Fortis' Malvinder & Shivinder Singh say they are not going anywhere
- Khalistani terrorist Atwal should never have been invited: Justin Trudeau
- India more corrupt than China, but better than Pak: Transparency report
- MPC minutes: RBI may have lost its only dove as talk of rate hike swirls
- Ford North America chief Raj Nair steps down for 'inappropriate behavior'
MORE ON MARKETS:
Copyrights © 2018 Business Standard Private Ltd. All rights reserved.
Upgrade To Premium Services
Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"
As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:
- Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
- Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
- Access to 17 plus years of content archives
- Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
- End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
- NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
In Partnership with
Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.
Team Business Standard