Bank unions, IBA nearing pact on wage hike

The Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and Unions are close to reaching an agreement on wage hike for employees of state-owned banks, a senior ministry official said on Wednesday.

“As per the understanding between unions and IBA, bank employees are likely to get another option for pension and wage hike of 17.5 per cent,” the official said. The hike would come into effect from November 2007 for a period of five years. Nearly 1 million bank employees are likely to benefit from the wage revision which is likely to cost the banks nearly Rs 4,800 crore annually.

“Employees opting for the pension now will have to share 30 per cent of the burden, while remaining 70 per cent will be borne by the banks,” the official said. The total outgo on account of a fresh option for pension is likely to be Rs 6,000 crore on annualised basis.

“Of this, Rs 1800 crore will be shared by the employees while the remaining Rs 4,200 crore will fall on banks,” the official said. Nearly 250,000 bank employees will benefit from the fresh option for pension.

“Some ground has been covered. It’s difficult to say how close we are to reaching an agreement. There are still some hurdles,” CH Venkatachalam, said convenor, United Forum of Bank Unions. United Forum of Bank Unions, an umbrella organisation representing nine major banking trade unions, represents about 1 millon bank employees and officers from across the country.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

Bank unions, IBA nearing pact on wage hike

Newswire18  |  New Delhi 



The Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and Unions are close to reaching an agreement on wage hike for employees of state-owned banks, a senior ministry official said on Wednesday.

“As per the understanding between unions and IBA, bank employees are likely to get another option for pension and wage hike of 17.5 per cent,” the official said. The hike would come into effect from November 2007 for a period of five years. Nearly 1 million bank employees are likely to benefit from the wage revision which is likely to cost the banks nearly Rs 4,800 crore annually.

“Employees opting for the pension now will have to share 30 per cent of the burden, while remaining 70 per cent will be borne by the banks,” the official said. The total outgo on account of a fresh option for pension is likely to be Rs 6,000 crore on annualised basis.

“Of this, Rs 1800 crore will be shared by the employees while the remaining Rs 4,200 crore will fall on banks,” the official said. Nearly 250,000 bank employees will benefit from the fresh option for pension.

“Some ground has been covered. It’s difficult to say how close we are to reaching an agreement. There are still some hurdles,” CH Venkatachalam, said convenor, United Forum of Bank Unions. United Forum of Bank Unions, an umbrella organisation representing nine major banking trade unions, represents about 1 millon bank employees and officers from across the country.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Bank unions, IBA nearing pact on wage hike

The Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and United Forum of Bank Unions are close to reaching an agreement on wage hike for employees of state-owned banks, a senior finance ministry official said on Wednesday.

The Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) and Unions are close to reaching an agreement on wage hike for employees of state-owned banks, a senior ministry official said on Wednesday.

“As per the understanding between unions and IBA, bank employees are likely to get another option for pension and wage hike of 17.5 per cent,” the official said. The hike would come into effect from November 2007 for a period of five years. Nearly 1 million bank employees are likely to benefit from the wage revision which is likely to cost the banks nearly Rs 4,800 crore annually.

“Employees opting for the pension now will have to share 30 per cent of the burden, while remaining 70 per cent will be borne by the banks,” the official said. The total outgo on account of a fresh option for pension is likely to be Rs 6,000 crore on annualised basis.

“Of this, Rs 1800 crore will be shared by the employees while the remaining Rs 4,200 crore will fall on banks,” the official said. Nearly 250,000 bank employees will benefit from the fresh option for pension.

“Some ground has been covered. It’s difficult to say how close we are to reaching an agreement. There are still some hurdles,” CH Venkatachalam, said convenor, United Forum of Bank Unions. United Forum of Bank Unions, an umbrella organisation representing nine major banking trade unions, represents about 1 millon bank employees and officers from across the country.

image
Business Standard
177 22

More News

  • Janmejaya Sinha Janmejaya Sinha: An agenda for the new RBI governor
  • Arundhati Bhattacharya No retail loan bubble in the making, says SBI chief
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Advertisement

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard