SBI may merge NPA- ridden factoring arm

is likely to merge its factoring arm, SBI Global Factors Ltd, a company which posted loss of Rs 125 crore in 2010-11, due to higher provisioning on the back of mounting non-performing asset.

Parliament in December passed the Factoring Regulation Bill, 2011, which aims to address problems faced by small and medium enterprises. The Bill also allows banks to undertake factoring activity, so the incentive to run a separate company by a bank is absent.

“SBI Global Factors has turned around in this quarter and we are now deciding the future course of action for the company. Either we will rope in a strategic partner or merge it with the bank,” said Pratip Chaudhury, chairman.

SBI holds 85.39 per cent stake in SBI Global Factors. The remaining 14.61 per cent is held by Sidbi, Bank of Maharashtra and Union Bank of India.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

SBI may merge NPA- ridden factoring arm

BS Reporter 



is likely to merge its factoring arm, SBI Global Factors Ltd, a company which posted loss of Rs 125 crore in 2010-11, due to higher provisioning on the back of mounting non-performing asset.

Parliament in December passed the Factoring Regulation Bill, 2011, which aims to address problems faced by small and medium enterprises. The Bill also allows banks to undertake factoring activity, so the incentive to run a separate company by a bank is absent.

“SBI Global Factors has turned around in this quarter and we are now deciding the future course of action for the company. Either we will rope in a strategic partner or merge it with the bank,” said Pratip Chaudhury, chairman.

SBI holds 85.39 per cent stake in SBI Global Factors. The remaining 14.61 per cent is held by Sidbi, Bank of Maharashtra and Union Bank of India.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

SBI may merge NPA- ridden factoring arm

State Bank of India is likely to merge its factoring arm, SBI Global Factors Ltd, a company which posted loss of Rs 125 crore in 2010-11, due to higher provisioning on the back of mounting non-performing asset.

is likely to merge its factoring arm, SBI Global Factors Ltd, a company which posted loss of Rs 125 crore in 2010-11, due to higher provisioning on the back of mounting non-performing asset.

Parliament in December passed the Factoring Regulation Bill, 2011, which aims to address problems faced by small and medium enterprises. The Bill also allows banks to undertake factoring activity, so the incentive to run a separate company by a bank is absent.

“SBI Global Factors has turned around in this quarter and we are now deciding the future course of action for the company. Either we will rope in a strategic partner or merge it with the bank,” said Pratip Chaudhury, chairman.

SBI holds 85.39 per cent stake in SBI Global Factors. The remaining 14.61 per cent is held by Sidbi, Bank of Maharashtra and Union Bank of India.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Widgets Magazine

More News

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Advertisement

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard