Dr. Harshvardhan Addresses a Curtain-Raiser Press Conference on IISF 2017
Science is for the masses and it needs to communicate with people and identify and solve the problems, said the Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Science and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Harshvardhan, today, while addressing the media in the Curtain-Raiser Press Conference to the India International Science Festival(IISF), 2017 to be held from 13-16 October, 2017 in Chennai.
The Minister apprised the media about the events organized during the upcoming IISF-2017. The Minister informed that CSIR has more than 250 new technologies in pipeline which they have readied to solve public problems. He said that IISF 2017 is striving to be the World’s largest science festival with the motive of ‘Science for the masses’. The series of India International Science Festivals (IISF) is an integral part of India’s long term vision in developing and widening the spectrum of scientific temper in India and abroad.
The Minister also informed about the series of events to be held during IISF 2017 which include:
Science and Technology Ministers conclave
- S&T Partnership for Addressing Societal Challenges on a bilateral and multilateral level.
- The focus will be on capacity building through mechanisms such as fellowships, internships, training, data sharing, joint projects and technology transfer.
- Co-develop and deploy affordable and innovative technologies that provide solution to societal problems will also be a common agenda for the Conclave.
- Participants: S&T Ministers of Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Nepal & Portugal
Sensitizing Students and Youth to Flagship Programs of Government
- Young scientists across the country (state and central universities, R&D labs) will be made aware of the important flagship programmes of the Government of India such as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Swastha Bharat, Digital India, Make in India, Bio-diversity etc.
- Parliament to Panchayat: Students and teachers to be nominated by Hon’ble Members of Parliament from their adopted villages under Pradhan Manthri Sansad Aadarsh Gram Yojna.
- Mass representation of Rural India: Cultural integration, social interaction and exchange of scientific knowledge through science activities; experiencing ‘Unity in Diversity’;
Women Scientist & Entrepreneur’s Conclave
As a unique programme of IISF 2017, a Women Scientist & Entrepreneur’s Conclave titled “Game Changers Driving Science for New India” is being organized to promote science and entrepreneurship among the young women.
Industry (MSMEs) Academia Interaction
- Representatives from industry and scholars from academic background will have a good opportunity to discuss the changing trends on management principles, scientific advancement and technological assimilation in Industry and economy. The interaction meet also aims at Industry – Academic Institutional tie ups on research and development and improve efficiency in production and manufacturing.
Grassroots Innovators’ Summit
- National Innovation Foundation (NIF) will showcase about 100 innovative technologies from all states of the country.
- Aims to strengthen the grassroots technological innovations and outstanding traditional knowledge.
- “Start-up Contest - 2017” is framed under the Start-up Summit event to scout, award and support best start-ups happening in academic institutions across the country.
National Science Teachers’ Workshop with special focus on North East:
- To orient the teachers on novel Teaching Methodologies in Science; upgrade and refine level of teaching; knowledge dissemination through innovative practices; showcase the innovative teaching-learning practices in Science Education
Science Film Festival – Science Fiction Focus
Films on science focusing on science fiction from India and 9 foreign countries (South Korea, France, Germany, Sweden, UK, Australia, Norway, Italy and USA) will be screened.
Round Table Meet On Mass Communication
- Science communicators, science journalists, social media and electronic and print media communicators dealing with science and passionate science students will be invited to discuss the various aspects of mass communication .
Mega Science, Technology & Industry Expo
- It will showcase the remarkable Contribution of India in the World of Science & Technology. The expo would highlight the Govt. Missions.
- Various Theme Pavilions will highlight the achievements of Indian Space, Defence, Advanced Technologies, Rural Development, Energy, Agriculture, Healthcare, Industry/Trade, EDP/MSME, Environment/ Climate Change, Ocean, Bio Sciences/ Biotechnology, Women Empowerment, Education, Urban Development, Tourism/ Culture, and soon, serving in the main domain of Societal growth.
Guinness Book of World Records
- Conduct the “Largest Biology Lesson” involving a group of 1000 school students.
- The event will include a short power-point presentation about Cell Biology. It will be followed by a demonstration of the process of isolation of DNA from papaya fruits.
Ideas for Bharat Nirman
- Three socially relevant challenges faced by the society across the nation have been posed before the general public for deriving the most feasible solutions.
Special Session on Deep Ocean Research
- The Govt of India is launching a National Mission on Deep Ocean Research which will bring in huge economic benefits by harnessing the ocean resources (water, energy and minerals).
- A special thematic session on Deep Ocean Research will also be held.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)