You are here: Home » International » News » Companies
Business Standard

Apple store evacuated after iPhone battery explodes; one injured

The device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by repair worker burning his hand slightly: Zurich City police

IANS  |  Zurich 

Apple, iPhone, iPhone manufacturing, Apple Inc

A man was injured when an battery overheated and the device exploded at an Store here, leading to a temporary evacuation of those present on the premises.

According to a report in www.swissinfo.ch, the incident occurred at the Store on Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse on Tuesday, injuring a repairman.

"According to Zurich City police, the device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by a repair worker on Tuesday, burning his hand slightly. Seven other people received medical attention but were not hospitalised," the report said.

The incident prompted the evacuation of around 50 customers and staff from the shop.

"The staff responded well and correctly. They sprinkled quartz sand over the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and sucked out after switching on the ventilation," a police statement said.

The fire servicemen covered the battery with sand, allowing the smoke to be contained and then ventilated.

According to police, forensic specialists from the Zurich Forensic Institute were examining the cause of the problem.

was yet to respond to this.

First Published: Wed, January 10 2018. 10:52 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU