President Trump has approved a plan to arm Syrian Kurds so they can participate in the battle to retake Raqqa from the Islamic State, a strategy that has drawn deep opposition from Turkey, a NATO ally. American military commanders have long argued that arming the Y.P.G., a Kurdish militia fighting alongside Syrian Arab forces against the Islamic State, is the fastest way to seize Raqqa, the capital of the militants’ self-proclaimed caliphate. And Mr. Trump, who made fighting Islamist militants a priority during his campaign, again showed the high regard he has for ...
- Pak has history of providing safe havens to global terrorists: Afghanistan
- Sheikh Hasina slams Pakistan at UNGA, says it started 'genocide' of 1971
- Donald Trump's travel ban to expire on Sunday
- In Trump's America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- We are being scapegoated: Highlights of Pak PM Abbasi's first speech at UN
- Trump signs orders to cut off funding for North Korea nuclear programme
- Saudi lifting Skype, WhatsApp ban but will censor calls
- We do not desire the collapse of North Korea: S Korean Prez Moon Jae-in
- Asif Ali Zardari behind Benazir Bhutto's assassination, alleges Musharraf
- Trump praises Africa's biz potential, says friends go there to become rich
First Published: Wed, May 10 2017. 09:08 IST