Presently, the share of Indian value added egg in the global market is negligible. On an overall scale India’s share is nearly 4 per cent and qualifies amongst the top 5 egg producers in global output. Though the share in value added products is small, the market has witnessed a promising growth rate of 15-20 per cent year-on-year.
The awareness of value added eggs and aligned products is restricted to metros and big cities. Leading processing companies have witnessed that customer are ready to pay a premium for value added eggs.
Growth drivers adding to the sales of value added eggs can be outlined as:
- Increased consumer awareness, health consciousness and diet diversification
- Increasing negative impact of farm inputs on the final produce (pushing organic eggs)
- Increasing consumer convenience expectations
- Rising disposable income and changing lifestyle
- Presences of branded and trusted products
- Marketing strategies and intense communication form major brands
- Rapidly increasing QSR sectors and integrated operations
Some of the leading brands in value added egg space are Suguna Poultry Farm Limited, Vangili Feeds and SKM Eggs. Some of these top brands enjoy the first mover advantage in the sector and integrated back-end operation works as an edge over other local processors.
The value added eggs can have features like no odour, mostly rich in protein, contains less fat and may have herbal features.