Cash, F&O turnover growth dips to 4-year low

The aggregate turnover of and derivatives segments of stock exchanges increased by 12 per cent in the first half (April-September) of the current financial year, the lowest growth rate since the second half (October-March) of 2004-05. The low growth in turnover is partly owing to a decline in stock prices by around 39 per cent since January 8, 2008, and a drop of 18 per cent between April and September this year.

In the second half of FY05, bourses had reported a 13 per cent decline in the combined turnover despite a 16.3 per cent rise in the Sensex during the period. However, between April and September 2007 and between October 2007 and March 2008, the combined turnover of stock exchanges increased by more than 50 per cent.

The (NSE) ruled the roost, accounting for 92 per cent of the total turnover on and derivatives segments. The aggregate turnover of NSE on both and (F&O) increased by 14 per cent in the first half of FY09, with F&O volumes increasing by 13 per cent and turnover on the segment posting a 21 per cent rise.

Asia's oldest bourse Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which has a share of 8 per cent in the total market turnover, saw its volumes dipping by 6 per cent in the first of FY09, registering a decline for the first time since April-September 2005. The market generated 98 per cent of the bourse's total turnover, while its F&O segment accounted for 2 per cent of the volumes. NSE's F&O segment accounted for 79 per cent of its trading volumes, while its segment contributed the remaining 21 per cent to its turnover.

Overall, the F&O segment has remained the prime driver of volumes, with its share in the total turnover hovering around 72 per cent in the last two years. In 2001-02, the derivatives' share in the total turnover was 10 per cent, which increased to 32 per cent in 2002-03, rose to 57 per cent in 2003-04 and jumped to 61 per cent in 2004-05.

The large-cap, A-group stocks attracted more buyers in the bear phase. No wonder, the share of large-cap stocks in the total turnover increased from 75 per cent in the first half of FY08 to almost 87 per cent in the corresponding period of FY09. The top 10 large-cap stocks made up 29 per cent of the total market turnover.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

Cash, F&O turnover growth dips to 4-year low

BS Research Bureau  |  Mumbai 



The aggregate turnover of and derivatives segments of stock exchanges increased by 12 per cent in the first half (April-September) of the current financial year, the lowest growth rate since the second half (October-March) of 2004-05. The low growth in turnover is partly owing to a decline in stock prices by around 39 per cent since January 8, 2008, and a drop of 18 per cent between April and September this year.

In the second half of FY05, bourses had reported a 13 per cent decline in the combined turnover despite a 16.3 per cent rise in the Sensex during the period. However, between April and September 2007 and between October 2007 and March 2008, the combined turnover of stock exchanges increased by more than 50 per cent.

The (NSE) ruled the roost, accounting for 92 per cent of the total turnover on and derivatives segments. The aggregate turnover of NSE on both and (F&O) increased by 14 per cent in the first half of FY09, with F&O volumes increasing by 13 per cent and turnover on the segment posting a 21 per cent rise.

Asia's oldest bourse Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which has a share of 8 per cent in the total market turnover, saw its volumes dipping by 6 per cent in the first of FY09, registering a decline for the first time since April-September 2005. The market generated 98 per cent of the bourse's total turnover, while its F&O segment accounted for 2 per cent of the volumes. NSE's F&O segment accounted for 79 per cent of its trading volumes, while its segment contributed the remaining 21 per cent to its turnover.

Overall, the F&O segment has remained the prime driver of volumes, with its share in the total turnover hovering around 72 per cent in the last two years. In 2001-02, the derivatives' share in the total turnover was 10 per cent, which increased to 32 per cent in 2002-03, rose to 57 per cent in 2003-04 and jumped to 61 per cent in 2004-05.

The large-cap, A-group stocks attracted more buyers in the bear phase. No wonder, the share of large-cap stocks in the total turnover increased from 75 per cent in the first half of FY08 to almost 87 per cent in the corresponding period of FY09. The top 10 large-cap stocks made up 29 per cent of the total market turnover.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Cash, F&O turnover growth dips to 4-year low

The aggregate turnover of cash and derivatives segments of stock exchanges increased by 12 per cent in the first half (April-September) of the current financial year, the lowest growth rate since the

The aggregate turnover of and derivatives segments of stock exchanges increased by 12 per cent in the first half (April-September) of the current financial year, the lowest growth rate since the second half (October-March) of 2004-05. The low growth in turnover is partly owing to a decline in stock prices by around 39 per cent since January 8, 2008, and a drop of 18 per cent between April and September this year.

In the second half of FY05, bourses had reported a 13 per cent decline in the combined turnover despite a 16.3 per cent rise in the Sensex during the period. However, between April and September 2007 and between October 2007 and March 2008, the combined turnover of stock exchanges increased by more than 50 per cent.

The (NSE) ruled the roost, accounting for 92 per cent of the total turnover on and derivatives segments. The aggregate turnover of NSE on both and (F&O) increased by 14 per cent in the first half of FY09, with F&O volumes increasing by 13 per cent and turnover on the segment posting a 21 per cent rise.

Asia's oldest bourse Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which has a share of 8 per cent in the total market turnover, saw its volumes dipping by 6 per cent in the first of FY09, registering a decline for the first time since April-September 2005. The market generated 98 per cent of the bourse's total turnover, while its F&O segment accounted for 2 per cent of the volumes. NSE's F&O segment accounted for 79 per cent of its trading volumes, while its segment contributed the remaining 21 per cent to its turnover.

Overall, the F&O segment has remained the prime driver of volumes, with its share in the total turnover hovering around 72 per cent in the last two years. In 2001-02, the derivatives' share in the total turnover was 10 per cent, which increased to 32 per cent in 2002-03, rose to 57 per cent in 2003-04 and jumped to 61 per cent in 2004-05.

The large-cap, A-group stocks attracted more buyers in the bear phase. No wonder, the share of large-cap stocks in the total turnover increased from 75 per cent in the first half of FY08 to almost 87 per cent in the corresponding period of FY09. The top 10 large-cap stocks made up 29 per cent of the total market turnover.

image
Business Standard
177 22

LIVE MARKET

BSE

  ( %)

NSE

  ( %)

More News

  • India can achieve 50 mt maize output by 2025 to meet demand Corn prices in India firms up on supply crunch, rise in demand: USGC
  • BSE-listed firms’ market cap hit new high of Rs 111 lakh crore Market cap of BSE-listed firms hit new high of Rs 111 lakh crore

STOCK WATCH

Company Price() Chg(%)
H T Media 88.30 12.41
Dr Lal Pathlabs 1004.05 8.85
G M D C 98.15 8.27
Oriental Bank 124.05 7.82
Yamini Invest 39.70 7.30
> More on BSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
Oriental Bank 124.00 7.92
G M D C 97.85 7.88
Jubilant Life 543.80 6.81
Radico Khaitan 103.05 6.73
Allahabad Bank 84.00 6.67
> More on NSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
R C F 47.10 -5.23
Welspun India 46.75 -4.10
Den Networks 80.90 -3.86
Trident 56.00 -3.45
Bharti Airtel 332.10 -2.82
> More on BSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
R C F 47.15 -5.23
Den Networks 80.90 -3.75
Welspun India 46.65 -3.72
Trident 55.90 -3.70
Whirlpool India 924.95 -3.16
> More on NSE Gainers
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Derivatives

Index
Instrument Type
Expiry Date
Option Type
Strike Price

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard