HCL Tech takeaways

HCL Tech's stock price reflects the market?s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter

HCL Tech’s stock price reflects the market’s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter. The stock trades at Rs 513 a gain of 6.5 per cent over the previous day after the company announced a 41.8 per cent quarter on quarter profit growth, much ahead of analyst expectation of Rs 675 crore.

Following are the key takeaways from the company’s results

  • Revenue growth of 13.5 per cent as compared to the previous quarter in rupee term at Rs 5919.1 crore, in dollar terms income grew by 3 per cent at $1,079 million. Constant currency growth was much stronger at 4.6 per cent.
  • Operating profit increased at a much faster rate of 35.6 per cent to Rs 1,300.8 crore on account of better operating margins which increased from 18.39 per cent in March 2012 quarter to 21.98 per cent in June 2012. Operating margin in dollar terms was also similar.
  • Growth has come largely from software services as its BPO service posted a mediocre performance. Revenue from BPO services increased by 6.2 per cent to Rs 261.2 crore while contributing only Rs 17.7 crore at the EBIDTA level. In dollar terms there was a decline in revenue from the BPO division from $49.4 million to $47.6 million.
  • In terms of geographies, revenue from US grew by 2.7 per cent while from Europe it increased by 7.1 per cent QoQ. Collectively these two geographies contribute 81.5 per cent of the revenue. The remaining 18.5 per cent is contributed by Asia-Pac which increased 6.9 per cent.
  • As for verticals, financial services which accounts for 26 per cent of revenue share grew by 5.2 per cent while manufacturing, representing 28 per cent of revenue, increased by 1.6 per cent. Strongest growth of 22.9 per cent was witnessed in the Healthcare sector; however, its contribution to the topline is only 7.9 per cent.
  • With a total employee count at 84,319 the company’s attrition rate stood at 14 per cent down from 15 per cent in the previous quarter.
  • Pricing witnessed an uptick of 0.4 per cent while volume growth was 1.8 per cent.

Comments:

Overall a strong performance from HCL Tech, much better than its top three peers. Though the company has not given guidance yet, they have hinted at margins reducing by 180-200 bps on account of wage hike which will be spread over two quarters. HCL Tech’s management in a TV interview has said that focus of the company will be on maintaining momentum rather than margin.

 

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

HCL Tech takeaways

HCL Tech's stock price reflects the market?s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter

Shishir Asthana  |  Mumbai 



HCL Tech’s stock price reflects the market’s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter. The stock trades at Rs 513 a gain of 6.5 per cent over the previous day after the company announced a 41.8 per cent quarter on quarter profit growth, much ahead of analyst expectation of Rs 675 crore.

Following are the key takeaways from the company’s results

  • Revenue growth of 13.5 per cent as compared to the previous quarter in rupee term at Rs 5919.1 crore, in dollar terms income grew by 3 per cent at $1,079 million. Constant currency growth was much stronger at 4.6 per cent.
  • Operating profit increased at a much faster rate of 35.6 per cent to Rs 1,300.8 crore on account of better operating margins which increased from 18.39 per cent in March 2012 quarter to 21.98 per cent in June 2012. Operating margin in dollar terms was also similar.
  • Growth has come largely from software services as its BPO service posted a mediocre performance. Revenue from BPO services increased by 6.2 per cent to Rs 261.2 crore while contributing only Rs 17.7 crore at the EBIDTA level. In dollar terms there was a decline in revenue from the BPO division from $49.4 million to $47.6 million.
  • In terms of geographies, revenue from US grew by 2.7 per cent while from Europe it increased by 7.1 per cent QoQ. Collectively these two geographies contribute 81.5 per cent of the revenue. The remaining 18.5 per cent is contributed by Asia-Pac which increased 6.9 per cent.
  • As for verticals, financial services which accounts for 26 per cent of revenue share grew by 5.2 per cent while manufacturing, representing 28 per cent of revenue, increased by 1.6 per cent. Strongest growth of 22.9 per cent was witnessed in the Healthcare sector; however, its contribution to the topline is only 7.9 per cent.
  • With a total employee count at 84,319 the company’s attrition rate stood at 14 per cent down from 15 per cent in the previous quarter.
  • Pricing witnessed an uptick of 0.4 per cent while volume growth was 1.8 per cent.

Comments:

Overall a strong performance from HCL Tech, much better than its top three peers. Though the company has not given guidance yet, they have hinted at margins reducing by 180-200 bps on account of wage hike which will be spread over two quarters. HCL Tech’s management in a TV interview has said that focus of the company will be on maintaining momentum rather than margin.

 

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

HCL Tech takeaways

HCL Tech's stock price reflects the market?s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter

HCL Tech’s stock price reflects the market’s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter. The stock trades at Rs 513 a gain of 6.5 per cent over the previous day after the company announced a 41.8 per cent quarter on quarter profit growth, much ahead of analyst expectation of Rs 675 crore.

HCL Tech’s stock price reflects the market’s surprise over its strong performance for June 2012 quarter. The stock trades at Rs 513 a gain of 6.5 per cent over the previous day after the company announced a 41.8 per cent quarter on quarter profit growth, much ahead of analyst expectation of Rs 675 crore.

Following are the key takeaways from the company’s results

  • Revenue growth of 13.5 per cent as compared to the previous quarter in rupee term at Rs 5919.1 crore, in dollar terms income grew by 3 per cent at $1,079 million. Constant currency growth was much stronger at 4.6 per cent.
  • Operating profit increased at a much faster rate of 35.6 per cent to Rs 1,300.8 crore on account of better operating margins which increased from 18.39 per cent in March 2012 quarter to 21.98 per cent in June 2012. Operating margin in dollar terms was also similar.
  • Growth has come largely from software services as its BPO service posted a mediocre performance. Revenue from BPO services increased by 6.2 per cent to Rs 261.2 crore while contributing only Rs 17.7 crore at the EBIDTA level. In dollar terms there was a decline in revenue from the BPO division from $49.4 million to $47.6 million.
  • In terms of geographies, revenue from US grew by 2.7 per cent while from Europe it increased by 7.1 per cent QoQ. Collectively these two geographies contribute 81.5 per cent of the revenue. The remaining 18.5 per cent is contributed by Asia-Pac which increased 6.9 per cent.
  • As for verticals, financial services which accounts for 26 per cent of revenue share grew by 5.2 per cent while manufacturing, representing 28 per cent of revenue, increased by 1.6 per cent. Strongest growth of 22.9 per cent was witnessed in the Healthcare sector; however, its contribution to the topline is only 7.9 per cent.
  • With a total employee count at 84,319 the company’s attrition rate stood at 14 per cent down from 15 per cent in the previous quarter.
  • Pricing witnessed an uptick of 0.4 per cent while volume growth was 1.8 per cent.

Comments:

Overall a strong performance from HCL Tech, much better than its top three peers. Though the company has not given guidance yet, they have hinted at margins reducing by 180-200 bps on account of wage hike which will be spread over two quarters. HCL Tech’s management in a TV interview has said that focus of the company will be on maintaining momentum rather than margin.

 

image
Business Standard
177 22

LIVE MARKET

BSE

  ( %)

NSE

  ( %)

More News

STOCK WATCH

Company Price() Chg(%)
Sh.Renuka Sugar 18.10 11.04
Jindal Steel 88.15 9.71
L&T Fin.Holdings 85.10 8.55
T N Newsprint 300.40 8.02
Muthoot Finance 308.80 7.50
> More on BSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
Orissa Minerals 2343.05 14.28
Sh.Renuka Sugar 18.05 10.74
Jindal Steel 88.00 9.52
L&T Fin.Holdings 85.10 8.55
Muthoot Finance 308.80 8.01
> More on NSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
Dr Reddy's Labs 2988.40 -10.07
Lycos Internet 12.75 -7.61
M R P L 81.20 -5.80
Dish TV 93.50 -5.27
JP Power Ven. 6.23 -5.18
> More on BSE Gainers
Company Price() Chg(%)
Dr Reddy's Labs 2980.20 -10.23
M R P L 81.10 -6.35
Dish TV 93.55 -5.27
Castex Tech 15.35 -4.95
JP Power Ven. 6.20 -4.62
> More on NSE Gainers
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Derivatives

Index
Instrument Type
Expiry Date
Option Type
Strike Price

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard