You are here: Home » Markets » Mutual Funds
Business Standard

IDFC buys Natixis's stake in mutual fund unit for Rs 244 crore

Shares will be purchased through IDFC Financial Holding Company

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Mutual Funds

Financial services major has decided to buy Global Asset Management's 25 per cent stake in Mutual Fund for over Rs 244 crore.

The will be purchased through Financial Holding Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of


"The is in line with the terms of the shareholders agreement that we signed with six years ago," Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Vikram Limaye told PTI.

Financial Holding Company holds 75 per cent stake of Asset Management Company (AMC) and AMC Trustee Company. The remaining 25 per cent stake is held by

In December 2010, had entered into a share purchase agreement to pick stake in AMC and AMC Trustee.

As part of the agreement, there was a requirement that both shareholders would review the partnership at the end of five years.

Following a review clause in the agreement, "agreed to acquire through Financial Holding Company the balance stake (about 25 per cent) in AMC and AMC Trustee from Global Asset Management", the financial major said in a filing.

It has agreed to buy the stake for Rs 244.24 crore.

The deal, subject to regulatory approvals, is expected to conclude by the end of this month.

AMC is among the top 10 firms in the mutual fund space with an assets base of Rs 57,998 crore at the end of December quarter. The turnover of the fund house stood at Rs 325 crore at the end of March 31, 2016.

Currently, there are 42 players in the mutual fund industry that manage assets worth more than Rs 17 lakh crore.

"Our agreement with had a clause which required us to distribute all our international products through only but after the conclusion of deal we will own 100 per cent of the business then we have the flexibility to think about exploring distribution and or strategic partnerships with others as well.

"Our relationship with has been very good and nothing prevents us from using the distribution," Limaye said.

AMC, which manages a range of funds across debt and equity classes, has several new products in credit and balance fund category.

Limaye said that the company is focusing on portfolio management services (PMS) business quite aggressively.

First Published: Mon, March 06 2017. 18:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU