You are here: Home » News-ANI » Sports
Business Standard

IOC extends deadline for N Korea's Winter Games participation

ANI  |  Lausanne [Switzerland] 

The (IOC) announced on Monday that it had extended the deadline to register North Korean athletes for the upcoming Pyeongchang Winter

The reported that the did not specify when the cutoff date would be extended and said that talks were on between and

The North Korean had missed the October 30 deadline set by the IOC, to register their athletes' participation in the Games.

"The IOC's mission is always to ensure the participation of all qualified athletes, beyond all political tensions and divisions. On this, we have been working with all the stakeholders for quite some time", the said in a statement.

"With regard to the very particular situation on the Korean peninsula, we need the political commitment from all parties concerned to make such a participation possible.

Once this political commitment is clear, the will take the final decision," the statement added.

The decision by the comes after the two Koreas have agreed to sit down next week to discuss ways to cooperate in the Pyeongchang to be held next month.

The is scheduled to take place at South Korea's Pyeongchang from February 9-25.

According to news agency, had issued a notification to that it had accepted the offer to hold talks on next Tuesday at a truce village called Panmunjom, located just across the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ).

The decision was taken following North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's re-conciliatory New Year message in a televised address to the nation.

South Korean Moon Jae-in will hope that the next week's bilateral talks with their arch-rivals could pave way for the de-nuclearisation and peace across the and broader coordination between the U. S. and

on Wednesday welcomed the talks between the two Koreas and has appreciated their effort to use the 2018 as a platform for improving ties. It also called on all parties to see the positive side of the upcoming high-level talks between the two Koreas.

Also, re-opened the suspended inter-Korean communication hotline with South Korea, after it was closed down in February 2016.

The upcoming high-level talks come amid the increasing tension between the two countries as seized a Hong Kong-flagged tanker returning after allegedly transferring to a few days ago.

is also under tough international sanctions over the launch of three intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and other nuclear tests last year.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, January 08 2018. 23:48 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU