You are here: Home » News-ANI » National
Business Standard

Nowshera ceasefire violation aftermath: People take shelter in camps, schools indefinitely shut

ANI  |  Nowshera (Jammu and Kashmir) [India] 

As the Army continued its unprovoked ceasefire violation in Nowshera sector of on Saturday, as many as eight villages were seriously affected in the aftermath.

had originally targetted a total of 26 villages.

A total of 193 families, comprising of 743 persons, took shelter in camps. As many as 609 border residents were evacuated late last evening.

In another development, as many as 51 schools of the Nowshera region, and 36 of Manjakote and Doongi zones have been closed for an indefinite period.

Earlier, two civilians were killed in the ceasefire violation, to which the Indian troops gave a befitting reply.

"Pakistani Army initiated indiscriminate firing of small arms, automatics, 82 mm and 120 mm mortars from 0715 hours along the Line of Control (LC) in Naushera sector," said an official statement.

Following this, the evacuation of villagers in the region was taken up by the State Government, with thousands of people being relocated to safer places after the heavy area came under mortar shelling from across the border.

The government set up make shift tent camps and arranged food for the dislocated.

"We don't want anything. We don't want to go anywhere, don't want to go back to our place. We just request the government to shoot us," said a resident in Nowshera.

The Deputy Commissioner of Rajouri, Shahid Iqbal Choudhary said earlier that the government has established four relief camps and another 26 are being identified in case people are evacuated from the region.

"Four relief camps have been established and 26 others are being identified in case more evacuation is needed. We have 30 relief camps and have provided them with all facilities. Around 100 officers are on duty," Choudhary told ANI.

Choudhary said around 20-25 villages are affected, out of which heavy shelling has been reported in Nowshera.

He also added that two people have been killed and three others are injured, one whose condition is critical has been referred to Jammu for further treatment.

"Right now the kin of the deceased are being compensated with Rs. one lakh. Later on, as per norms, we will provide them with the remaining amount," he said.

He said that it is a bit challenging to evacuate people from the region in the middle of heavy shelling, but, they would try to evacuate everyone till the evening.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, May 14 2017. 06:43 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU