You are here: Home » News-ANI » International » World
Business Standard

Trump briefed on North Korea's 'failed' missile launch: U.S. Defence Secretary

ANI  |  Washington D.C. [United States] 

U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis has said that President Donald Trump and his military advisors have been briefed on North Korea's apparent failed missile launch.

"The president and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch," Sputnik quoted Mattis as saying in a statement.

However, has not yet commented on the failed missile launch.

Earlier, North Korea's attempt to launch a missile on its east coast has apparently failed, U.S. and South Korean defense officials said.

CNN quoted a South Korean defense official as saying that the missile launch was carried out from North Korea's Sinpo region in South Hamgyong Province.

Last month, a ballistic missile was also test fired by North Korea from the same site.

South Korean and U.S. intelligence officials are trying to determine the type of missile used by North Korea for this launch.

US Pacific Command said it tracked a missile launch which blew up almost immediately.

The attempts comes a day after North Korea begun a vast military parade to celebrate the birth of its founding father, Kim Il-sung, and warned that it was prepared to take the "toughest" action unless the United States ended its "military hysteria", The Guardian reported.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, April 16 2017. 07:57 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU