You are here: Home » News-IANS » Terrorism
Business Standard

1993 Mumbai blasts accused Farooq Takla in police custody

IANS  |  Mumbai 

A designated on Thursday sent to police custody absconder Mohammed Farooq Yasin Mansoor alias Farooq Takla, an accused in the 1993 serial blasts and a of mafia don Kaskar, to police custody till March 19.

Extradited from Abu Dhabi, following a request made by last year, the accused, who eluded the law for a quarter century, was finally arrested by the (CBI) at the around 5.15 a.m. and later brought to

- against whom there were several non-bailable warrants of arrest and for whom the had issued a Red Corner Notice way back in 1995 - was tracked to the UAE where he was believed to be holed up.

At least 257 people were killed and over 700 injured and properties worth crores of rupees were destroyed in the March 12, 1993 blasts,

In the remand plea, the CBI's of Police of the Special Task Force, Shiv Kumar, said the accused was "deeply involved in the criminal conspiracy to commit terrorist acts" including carrying out the serial explosions that day.

The CBI said was an active conspirator in the conspiracy along with other accused including Kaskar and Anees

He provided logistics support to at least five other co-accused like arranging their air tickets, documentation and their accommodation in from where they were to travel to other places for getting arms and ammunition and sending them from to for training in handling explosives, said CBI

Interestingly, Farooq Takla's arrest comes just two days after well-known criminal reiterated in Thane that was reportedly ready to return to and face trial but the had rejected some of his preconditions.

Considered one of the biggest terror strikes in the world, as many as 13 locations were strategically targeted for their economic or political or commercial importance.

They included the Air Building, the Bombay Stock Exchange, Zaveri Bazaar, Sahar International Airport, (Juhu), (Airport), the now demolished Hotel SeaRock, the Century Bazar and other major sites.

on Thursday congratulated for the success in getting back to face trial.

"We need to compliment NSA Doval... Dawood not far off?" Swamy tweeted.



(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, March 08 2018. 20:36 IST