ALSO READUK pay puzzle deepens, easing pressure on Bank of England Bank of England chief says UK to underperform until mid-2018 UK inflation surprises with slowdown, easing pressure on Bank of England UK pay growth stays weak, easing pressure on Bank of England UK inflation jump puts Bank of England back in spotlight on rates
An Indian-origin doctor who was arrested in East Midlands region of England for the circumcision of a three-month-old baby boy without his mother's approval has been released without charge.
Dr Balvinder Mehat, 61, was accused of circumcising the tot without religious reasons in July 2013. The boy underwent the procedure when his paternal grandmother took him for a surgery in Nottingham.
"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) deemed that there would be no realistic prospect of conviction," Nottinghamshire Police said on Thursday, adding that they had "thoroughly investigated the incident", the BBC reported.
The boy's mother had complained to Nottinghamshire police after the incident but they deemed it not to be a criminal matter and the case was referred to the General Medical Council.
The case was reopened after the mother got help from an anti-circumcision group and a human rights lawyer.
Mehat from the Bakersfield Medical Centre in Nottingham was arrested earlier this year in June and he told police that he believed the mother had consented.
Police also arrested the boy's father and paternal grandmother on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm, but they were released without charge.
In a letter to the boy's mother outlining its decision, the CPS said had Mehat performed the operation knowing the mother did not consent, his actions may have amounted to an assault.
"He may have failed in his professional obligations to discuss the issue of consent with you, but that in itself is not sufficient for there to be a criminal prosecution," the letter stated.
Human rights lawyer Saimo Chahal said he is appealing the "flawed and irrational" decision.
The boy's mother said circumcision amounts to male genital mutilation and said her son, now aged four, has suffered recurring physical problems, including inflammation and water infections after the act.
"I will fight this until my last breath if I have to, it's the only way I can possibly look my son in his eyes," the boy's mother said.
Mehat is due to face a hearing before the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service to assess his fitness to practice.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)