You are here: Home » News-IANS » Cinema-Showbiz
Business Standard

Michael Haneke slams #MeToo movement

IANS  |  Los Angeles 

Austrian filmmaker has slammed the #MeToo movement, calling it a witch hunt.

The #MeToo movement was started last year by actresses and models and other powerful women in Hollywood against sexual misconduct at work against celebrities like

Several celebrities including French and German Ingrid Caven, signed an editorial in French daily criticising the movement.

According to hollywoodreporter.com, Haneke said in an Austrian newspaper that "this new puritanism coloured by a hatred of men, arriving on the heels of the #MeToo movement, worries me".

"As artistes, w''re starting to be fearful since w''re faced with this crusade against any form of eroticism"" added the director of "Amour".

Haneke believes those guilty of rape or abuse should still be punished, however, he said: "I find the hysteria and condemnations without any trial totally disgusting""

He blamed the media for the "murdered lives and careers in the process" and condemned the movement as "a witch hunt".

--IANS

ks/sug/ksk

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, February 11 2018. 12:46 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU