Business Standard

Taiwan earthquake toll reaches 14

IANS  |  Taipei 

Search and rescue teams in on Saturday pulled out two bodies of five members of a Chinese family who remain trapped after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake hit the city of in Taiwan, raising the number of fatalities to 14, the said.

The rescue mission to free the family that was staying at the Meilun Hotel, part of the Yun Men Tsui Ti building, was hindered due to severe damage caused to the building, bad weather and continuous aftershocks.

The rescue teams struggled to gain access to the room where the family had been trapped for over 80 hours since Tuesday's quake, news reported.

The Fire Department's said there were no signs of life, adding that the situation was not hopeful as severe conditions were making it hard to reach the bodies.

Despite the difficulties, rescue operations would continue until all the members of the family are pulled out, said.

Relatives of those trapped, accompanied by Yu Fengying, of the Affairs Office of the Beijing Municipal Government, arrived in on Saturday and were scheduled to go to on Sunday.

The earthquake, followed by hundreds of aftershocks, including one measuring 5.7 magnitude, left 280 people injured and more than 800 were evacuated.

It also damaged four buildings, three of which were demolished due to safety concerns.

The aftershocks continued to rock the city.

--IANS

soni/vm

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, February 10 2018. 15:44 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU