Two domestic helps were killed on Tuesday in a major blaze that gutted the apartment of a well-known industrialist in a residential high rise in Mumbai's posh Cuffe Parade area, officials said.
According to BMC Disaster Control, the fire broke out in the duplex on 20th and 21st floors that belonged to Bajaj Electricals Chairman-cum-Managing Director Shekhar Bajaj.
The cause of the blaze, which was reported around 6.30 a.m., was still being probed.
Eight fire tenders and six jumbo water tankers along with sophisticated fire-fighting equipment were deployed to fight the blaze which was brought under control within an hour.
The firemen, wearing breathing apparatus, climbed on an aerial ladder platform, used one small hose line, one monitor jet, two lines of risers to battle the blaze.
Seven persons from the lower flat and seven others from neighbouring flats on the same floor were rescued safely.
All 11 members of the Bajaj family, including an infant, were moved so safety soon after the fire was noticed.
The two domestic helps who died were in a room near the internal staircase of the duplex.
They suffered serious burns and succumbed before they were rushed to St. George Hospital.
A fire officer said that the fixed fire-fighting system in the building was in working condition which helped the firemen to deploy resources very quickly, averting major loss of lives or assets in the high rise.
Municipal Commissioner Ajoy Mehta and other senior officials visited the scene of the tragedy shortly afterwards.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)