ALSO READLakshmi Vilas Bank net profit up by 70% to Rs 51 cr Ministry of Power Accolades Tata Power under the Comprehensive Award Scheme L&T Wins Rs 2,155 cr Orders from NFL for Projects in Haryana, Punjab Akruti City reports another Robust Quarter Cypress, Keil Team Up to Deliver High-Performance Compiler Options
- Winner in the 5th standard category is Miss Poonam Yadav from Swami Narayan School, Vapi.
- Winner in the 6th standard category is Master Pashangh Irani from Bombay Cambridge School, Mumbai.
- Winner in the 7th standard category is Master Sebastian from Bhartiya Vidhya Bhavan, Vadodara.
- Winner in the 8th standard category is Master Karthikeyan Vasudevan from Bombay Scottish School, Powai, Mumbai.
- 2 lakh students from 700 schools from 14 cities participated in the competition
Mexus Education, an educational innovation enterprise, in association with National Geographic Channel (NGC) and Ministry of Science and Technology announces the winners of the nation wide ‘Iken Scientifica 2009- Season III’. The grand finale was held at the renowned knowledge centre of Mumbai, IIT Powai and Singhania School, Thane on January 30 & 31, 2010 where winning 157 finalists from 14 cities competed for the prestigious title of ‘Student Icon of India 2009’.
In the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th standard categories, the four winners were awarded and all winners will be featured in NGC’s special program on Iken Scientifica. In all prizes worth Rs. 50 lacs were awarded to all participants at various levels of Iken Scientifica.
Speaking on the initiative, Mr. Saurabh Saxena, Director, Mexus Education, said, “At Mexus Education, our over-riding aim is to make students enjoy the process of learning. All our products and services under the brand Iken including Iken Scientifica provide platform for students from across the country to unearth hands-on and enjoyable ways of learning. Iken Scientifica aims to boost budding talent to showcase an extraordinary aptitude in lateral thinking and experimentation.”
“The third version of Iken Scientifica has observed collaboration with National Geographic Channel and Ministry of Science and Technology and established Iken Scientifica as India’s premier science and technology talent hunt,” added Mr Saxena.
Ms. Revathi Srinivasan, Principal, Smt Sulochanadevi Singhania School said, “We are delighted to be associated with this prestigious event since its inception and has seen an up rise in student participation. I believe it’s a great platform for students to showcase their talent and drive them towards experiential and innovative learning.”
The Guests of Honour who attended the event were Dr. (Mrs.) Vandana Lulla, Director, Podar World School (IB), Mumbai; Ms. Revathi Srinivasan, Principal, Smt Sulochanadevi Singhania School; Dr. Minaxi Upadhyay, Principal, Sheth M.K. High School (Borivali West), Mumbai; Mohan Kannan, Lead Vocalist, Agnee; Ms. Seema Taneja, Student Counsellor.
The grand finale has been devised with a clear focus to enhance the ability of the participants to effectively use technology creating human networks that can be utilized to impart quality education of the future. The various rounds where the finalists participated were as follows:
- Round Jun Kreate: It is a design, creativity and innovation based round where students were given a problem statement and loads of relevant material to choose to solve the problem statement.
- Computer simulation gaming round: Here students played computer simulation games and set up a gaming zone arena with 100 laptops and mice.
- Sumo Bot: It is an individual competition. Each student was given a Sumo Bots kit, using which they assembled and made a sumo bot. It also contained a knock-out competition of fight between their Sumo Bots.
- 3-D Chess: It is a team competition based event where the students played as chess players.
- Air Zooka Competition: It is an individual competition. Each student was provided materials to construct an air gun system and make a castle.
- Audio- Visual competition: This round tests the student’s observation capability. A mute video was played and students were asked to complete the dialogues played in the video.
- Turn Coat: It is an individual competition where the student was asked to debate on the topic related to the current issues concerning science and technology.
About Iken Scientifica 2009
It is India's largest and only hands-on science and technology competition conducted for school students from class 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th across India and comprises of three rounds namely school round, city finals and national finals where students will vie for the title. It is a platform where one can experience science in its true essence by testing, verifying and applying theories in a practical hands-on scenario. The winners at the end of three rounds crowned as ‘Student Icon of India’ from each class.
About Mexus Education
Mexus Education is an educational innovations enterprise started in 2008. It is a global venture by the Bilakhia Group. The company believes that 21st century education goes beyond school text books. It engages a student in a fascinating process of exploration, experience and extrapolation. This experience is enhanced with specially designed products which facilitate active participation. The various content forms used are films, graphic novels, games and hands-on kits that bring out a fusion of entertainment with education.
‘www.iken.in’ and ‘iken Scientifica’, the two landmark endeavours of the company encourage the process of ideation and innovation among the students, teachers, schools and parents alike.
Mexus is now serving more than 4 lakh students in 1200 schools in 20 cities at present and aims to pioneer many more education changing innovations by 2012.The company has a dedicated team of over 300 professionals, from India’s top institutes like IIT’s, BITS, NID, top Business Schools, experienced Teachers and child psychologists, involved in research & development.
For more details you can visit www.mexuseducation.com.