Confirming the deaths, Bangladesh's first secretary (labour) in Bahrain Muhammad Ibrahim said the victims, all hailing from south-eastern city of Comilla, died due to suffocation from heavy smoke after fire broke out from an electric short circuit at their house in Rifa, 30 kilometres from capital Manama.
All the 10 died on the spot as billowing smoke engulfed their residence, he said, adding the workers had already succumbed to suffocation by the time the firemen could reach the site after breaking the house's wall, The Daily Star reported.
"There was little arrangement for ventilation in that house," Ibrahim was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
Labour department has already checked the fingerprints of the deceased and found that they entered Bahrain legally. The bodies were kept at a local hospital.
Travel firm Thomas Cook Group Plc today said it has recorded goodwill impairment charges of 96 million pounds (over Rs 830 crore) related to the ...