You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

2.93 lakh ration card holders did take ration for 3 months

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

As many as 2.93 lakh holders did not turn up to receive rations for three months and none of them filed any complained to the since the introduction of biometric-linked system for foodgrain distribution, the Delhi Food and Department said.

It said that 99.4 per cent of the beneficiaries of the had taken their ration after biometric authentication through the of sale (e-POS) system was introduced on January 1.

"Around 2.93 lakhs holders did not turn up for taking ration consecutively for January, February and March," a statement from the department said, adding the new e-PoS system has created space for new beneficiaries.

"It is also important to mention here that not even a single holder among 2.93 lakh suspect beneficiaries turned up with any grievance for not getting ration," it said.

The department has carried out a drive to check the details of those who had not taken ration for three consecutive months, on orders of the Central

So far, about 55,000 notices have been issued, the department said.

Due verification of these beneficiaries is required to avoid reentry of ineligible beneficiaries in the system, which can cause loss to the state exchequer and the genuine beneficiaries.

Food and had on Sunday written to Food and Mohanjeet Singh, asking him to restore the ration of those who had not availed of ration for three consecutive months.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, May 14 2018. 22:20 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU