You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

4 of family choke to death as provisions store catches fire

Press Trust of India  |  Ahmedabad 

Four members of a family were killed when a fire broke out at a provisions store in a multi-storey residential building in area here today.

The victims -- a child, woman and two men -- died of asphyxiation, said.

Leakage in or short-circuit is suspected to have caused the fire, he said.

The blaze erupted around 7 am in the shop situated on the ground floor of the multi-storey in Naranpura, he said.

"Four members of the family living in the storage area on the back side of the provisions store died after inhaling the dense smoke due to the heat after their shop caught fire," Bhatt said.

The shop had a single exit and entry point and had no ventilation, he said.

"The store was narrow, overloaded and there was no independent exit or entry point and not a single ventilator. The fire may have erupted due to gas leakage or an electric short-circuit," he said.

The officials of the (FSL) are working to ascertain the exact cause of the blaze, he said.

It took the fire brigade personnel nearly an hour to bring the blaze under control, Bhatt said.

The four victims identified as (40), his wife (33), their son (2) and a relative (32) -- were taken to a government hospital where they were declared brought dead, he said.

and local MLA later visited the site.

Shah said the family was living illegally in the shop by doubling it up as their house.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, January 09 2018. 15:55 IST