You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

Bengaluru building collapse: 6 killed, Rs 5 lakh announced for kin of dead

At least 40 fire-fighters and NDRF personnel were carrying out rescue operations

Press Trust of India  |  Bengaluru 

Bengaluru Building collapse
Government will adopt the girl (whose parents died) who was rescued and will take care of all her expenses: Bengaluru Development Minister. Photo: ANI

At least six persons were killed and some others feared trapped when a two-storeyed building collapsed due to a suspected LPG cylinder blast near Ejipura in the city today, the police said.

Eye-witnesses said the blast took place at around 7 am. They said a noise of the blast was heard and the 20 year-old building was reduced to rubble.


Personnel of the Fire brigade and Disaster Response Force, who rushed to the spot, recovered the bodies including that of two women.

Two of the deceased have been identified as Kalavathi (68) and Ravichandran (30).

Two children, who were rescued from the debris were out of danger, police said.

Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy, who visited the spot, told reporters that the building belonged to one Gunesh.

Gunesh had rented the building to four families, he added.

"Two families were residing in the ground floor while one was on the first floor. Kalavathi and Ravichandran were in the first floor. They died on the spot while two children sustained injuries. They are safe. In the ground floor, members of two families might have been trapped," said the minister.

Mayor R Sampath Raj said four families were residing in the building

At least 40 fire-fighters and personnel were carrying out rescue operations.

While clearing debris to pull out those trapped in the building, three fire-fighters were injured as a wall fell on them, police said adding they had been shifted to a nearby hospital.

First Published: Mon, October 16 2017. 11:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU