You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Afghan official: Key southern district retaken from Taliban

AP  |  Kabul 

An official says the country's security forces have driven the out of a key district in southern Helmand province from where they had been threatening the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah.

Defence Ministry's spokesman, Daulat Waziri, today said that the battle to recapture the district of Naway had been fierce. He says more than 50 fighters were killed and five security forces were wounded.


Naway is located just 16 kilometers, or 10 miles, from Lashkar Gah, and had been a staging arena for militant attacks on the city.

troops also captured a large cache of ammunitions and guns. The did not immediately comment on reports of the district's fall.

US and troops are in Helmand to assist security forces when needed.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, July 17 2017. 14:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU