You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

China reopens Nathu La route for Kailash Mansarovar yatra

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

has confirmed "resumption" of Kailash Mansarovar through the route, has said.

He also noted that the Kailash Mansarovar via Nathu La was not undertaken last year after the cited "unfavourable conditions" to ensure the safe and smooth conduct of the on this route.

The was stopped by in the aftermath of the military face-off with last year at Doklam. demanded withdrawal of Indian forces from the site.

The standoff began on 16 June after the Indian troops intervened and stopped the from building a road in the area claimed by as it posed a security risk to Chicken Neck, the narrow corridor connecting with its north-eastern states. Finally, the two armies "disengaged" on 28 August.

"This matter was raised by the government with the Chinese government, including during the meeting of the with the Chinese in December 2017. Subsequently, the has confirmed resumption of the on this route," Singh told Sabha in a written reply recently.

Yesterday, addressing a gathering at the 'Chinese Spring Festival' reception at the embassy here, Chinese said, "New Year is like a blank book. The pen is in our hands. We have already started writing a new chapter of China-relations. Recently, State Councilor and visited successfully. The Pilgrimage arrangements have been made now."

The four-month to the Kailash Mansarovar starts from June.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, February 09 2018. 17:45 IST