The Puducherry CPI today called on the territorial government to immediately take up with the Centre, the issue of the quashing of admission of students to first year MBBS course in private medical colleges here by MCI, and save the students from the crisis.
Member of the national council of the CPI Nara Kalainathan in a release here noted that around 770 students were admitted to four deemed-to-be universities and three private medical (self financing) colleges during last academic year (2016-2017) here.
The Medical Council of India (MCI) has quashed the admissions on the ground that the students admitted under management quota in the colleges had not undergone the counselling by CENTAC (Centralised Admission committee) and the admission took place beyond the last date (September 30, 2016).
Kalainathan further said that the students hailing from Puducherry and various other states had already completed the first year of the course in MBBS and had paid hefty sums of fees under various counts to the managements.
When they are now in the second year of the course the MCI has come out with this shocking announcement of quashing the admissions and directing the government to ensure that the students were discharged from the institutions in 2 weeks' time, he said.
"This order of the MCI is not acceptable as it is a deadly blow to the medical aspirants," he said while asking the territorial government to intervene immediately and take up the issue with the Union Health Ministry.
The government should also hold parleys with the managements and should not shirk its responsibility as if the matter was not the concern of the administration, he added.
The Medical council should rescind its directives quashing the admission and ensure that the students continued their education without break and without any hiccups, the CPI leader said.
In its September 7 letter, the MCI has directed the Puducherry Health Secretary and the Director of Health Services to discharge (remove from rolls of the institutions) students admitted without undergoing CENTAC counselling or after the last date for admission, September 30, 2016, and file a compliance report within two weeks.
The council had said the directive was being given based on the findings of its monitoring sub-committee which went into a complaint by CENTAC Students Parents Association that had alleged gross irregularities in the admission process by the four deemed universities and three private colleges here last year.