ALSO READAll eyes on Raj Bhavan now after Sasi moves to jail Congress demands immediate ouster of Meghalaya Guv, says Raj Bhavan turned into 'scandal bhavan' Cong seeks CBI probe in Tel land irregularities under TRS govt Gogoi says Assam Governor turning Raj Bhavan into RSS office Meghalaya Raj Bhavan staff want Guv out for 'compromising'
Demanding a CBI probe into the alleged custodial death of 28-year-old Ketan Patel, his kin have announced to sit on dharna outside Raj Bhavan with his body on Sunday.
They also announced that his funeral procession will be taken out from here to Gandhinagar on the same day.
Though the police have already arrested three persons, including one cop involved in the alleged crime, Ketan's father Mahendra refused to claim his son's body, which is kept at the civil hospital since June 5.
Mahendra said he will perform the last rites of his son only when the state government hands over the inquiry to the CBI.
"I have no faith in local police. I want the CBI to probe this case. I will not claim my son's body till it happens. On Sunday, we will take out Ketan's funeral and sit on Dharna outside Raj Bhavan with the dead body" said Patel.
Meanwhile, local police today cordoned off the civil hospital premises to prevent agitators from staging any kind of protest inside the hospital.
Though officials requested Mahdendra many times to claim his son's body, he remained firm on his demand and refused to perform the last rites.
Earlier on June 13, Mehsana taluka police had arrested its head constable Chirag Parmar, as well as accused Bharat Barot, who was the complainant against Ketan, and his son Chirag Barot on the charges of murder and kidnapping after registering an FIR based on Mahendra Patel's complaint.
The action comes over a week after Ketan died on June 5 due to alleged torture in police custody, following which strong protests were launched by local community members demanding arrest of persons behind this on charges of murder.
Their protest was also supported by Congress leaders who visited here to meet Mahendra and demanded lodging of FIR against the accused.
In his complaint, Mahendra had alleged that his son was kidnapped by Bharat Barot and taken to his shop where he was beaten up by him and his son, Chirag Barot.
He alleged that Ketan was then taken to taluka police station in injured state and again beaten up there, he said.
Head constable Chirag Parmar then called up Mahendra and demanded Rs 50,000 for the release of his son, said the complaint.
Mahendra said no to paying bribe, upon which he was again called up on June 3 with the demand of Rs 16,000 bribe for the release of his son.
On the same day, an FIR was lodged against Ketan by Bharat Barot on the charge of theft. Then, on the night of June 5, police informed him that his son had died during treatment at the civil hospital.