You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Custodial death: family to sit on dharna outside Raj Bhavan

Press Trust of India  |  Mehsana 

Demanding a probe into the alleged custodial death of 28-year-old Ketan Patel, his kin have announced to sit on dharna outside with his body on Sunday.

They also announced that his funeral procession will be taken out from here to Gandhinagar on the same day.

Though the police have already arrested three persons, including one cop involved in the alleged crime, Ketan's father refused to claim his son's body, which is kept at the civil hospital since June 5.

said he will perform the last rites of his son only when the state hands over the inquiry to the

"I have no faith in local police. I want the to probe this case. I will not claim my son's body till it happens. On Sunday, we will take out Ketan's funeral and sit on Dharna outside with the dead body" said Patel.

Meanwhile, local police today cordoned off the civil hospital premises to prevent agitators from staging any kind of protest inside the hospital.

Though officials requested Mahdendra many times to claim his son's body, he remained firm on his demand and refused to perform the last rites.

Earlier on June 13, Mehsana taluka police had arrested its head constable Chirag Parmar, as well as accused Bharat Barot, who was the complainant against Ketan, and his son Chirag Barot on the charges of murder and kidnapping after registering an FIR based on Patel's complaint.

The action comes over a week after Ketan died on June 5 due to alleged torture in police custody, following which strong protests were launched by local community members demanding arrest of persons behind this on charges of murder.

Their protest was also supported by Congress leaders who visited here to meet Mahendra and demanded lodging of FIR against the accused.

In his complaint, Mahendra had alleged that his son was kidnapped by Bharat Barot and taken to his shop where he was beaten up by him and his son, Chirag Barot.

He alleged that Ketan was then taken to taluka police station in injured state and again beaten up there, he said.

Head constable Chirag Parmar then called up Mahendra and demanded Rs 50,000 for the release of his son, said the complaint.

Mahendra said no to paying bribe, upon which he was again called up on June 3 with the demand of Rs 16,000 bribe for the release of his son.

On the same day, an FIR was lodged against Ketan by Bharat Barot on the charge of theft. Then, on the night of June 5, police informed him that his son had died during treatment at the civil hospital.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, June 15 2017. 22:28 IST