You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Decide appeal against Sreesanth's discharge in IPL spot-fixing: SC to Delhi HC

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The today asked the Delhi to decide by end of July the appeal challenging a trial court order discharging several cricketers, including S Sreesanth, in the sensational IPL case.

Sreesanth, who was banned for life by the Board of Control for in (BCCI), has filed an appeal in the apex court challenging the Kerala decision upholding the ban on him.

A bench headed by said it understood Sreesanth's "anxiety" to play cricket, but would like to wait for the high court's decision on the appeal of the challenging the trial court order discharging the cricketers and others in the IPL case.

The banned paceman has sought an interim direction that he should be allowed to play the English county in the view of the fact that he has already been discharged in the IPL case and has been suffering the ban for the past four years.

The had arrested and other two cricketers and on charges of spot fixing during the (IPL) in 2013.

The apex court had on February 5 sought a response of the BCCI and the two members of the committee, which had recommended the life ban on Sreesanth, over his plea challenging a Kerala verdict restoring the life ban imposed on him by the apex body in the wake of the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal.

The BCCI had earlier told the court that the case against was an "open and shut" one as telephonic conversations had revealed that he allegedly took money for bowling 'no balls' during an IPL match in 2013.

The conversation involved talk of division of money between the and a bookie for bowling 'no balls' in a particular IPL match.

A single-judge bench of the had on August 7 last year lifted the life ban imposed on 34-year-old by the BCCI and set aside all proceedings against him initiated by the board.

A division bench of the high court had later restored the ban on a petition filed by the Board of Control for (BCCI) against the single-judge bench's order.

All the 36 accused in the spot-fixing case, including Sreesanth, Chavan and Chandila, were let-off by a in July, 2015. The later challenged the decision in the

The BCCI, however, had refused to alter its disciplinary decision even after the verdict.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, May 15 2018. 15:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU