Delhi minister Rajendra Gautam today set up a vigilance committee to look into sewer deaths in the city.
The move comes after two brothers died of a similar incident in Anand Vihar today. The duo had inhaled toxic gases while cleaning a sewer at a shopping mall.
Their father and a firefighter, who was involved in the rescue operation, also inhaled the toxic gas and have been admitted to the hospital in a critical condition, police said.
"I am making a vigilance committee to monitor such illegal activities. I am shocked to see the courage of these contractors. They do not fear the law. Though we have no control on private buildings, we will take stern action against violators," the water minister said in a series of tweets.
Yusuf (50) and his two sons -- Jahangir (24)and Izaz (22) -- collapsed while cleaning the sewer, police said.
As they did not come out of it for a long time, the police and fire department were informed.
One of the firemen, Mahipal, who had entered the sewer, also inhaled the toxic fumes and collapsed, they said.
All the four were rushed to the Hedgewar Hospital, where Jahangir was declared "brought dead" and Izaz died subsequently, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Nupur Prasad said.
Last week, three men who were manually cleaning a sewer line at Lajpat Nagar had died after inhaling noxious fumes.
The incident was reported three weeks after the death of four men while cleaning a septic tank in south Delhi's Ghitorni.
In both the cases, the victims were working for private contractors.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)