You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Dozens killed in troubled eastern DR Congo province

AFP  |  Bunia 

Dozens of people were killed overnight in fresh clashes in DR Congo's volatile northeastern province, sharpening an ethnic conflict that has already forced tens of thousands to flee, officials said today.

At least 30 people were killed in the latest unrest, which came in the wake of the interior minister's visit to the region.

"We have recorded 30 deaths. There are certainly other bodies out in the bush. A search is underway," a said.

Other sources gave a higher toll.

"In the village of Djo, (the attackers) killed 10 people, in Gbi, there were 10 dead, and in Takpa, 19 people were shot dead, which makes 39 dead," Willy Pilo Mulindro, of district, told AFP.

The UN radio channel Okapi gave a toll of 41 dead in four villages, and said the attackers used machetes, arrows and Kalashnikovs.

Fighting in has involved the Hema and Lendu communities, respectively cattle herders and farmers who have a long history of violence over access to land.

At least 130 people have been killed since clashes flared anew in December, according to an unofficial toll compiled by AFP, while humanitarian workers say around 200,000 have been displaced, including tens of thousands who have crossed the border to seek shelter in

An inter-ethnic group called the Kinshasa Community (CIK) puts these figures far higher.

According to a local official, the latest clashes broke out just after Interior wrapped up a tour of the region.

"While the is on the ground, we continue to kill each other," Gregoire Lusenge, a for a caucus of lawmakers from Ituri, told AFP.

"The police deployment seems insufficient. The few troops that are there are unable to contain the situation, which is getting worse and worse."

The gave a different version of events in at least one village.

"There was no massacre in Djo," said Jules Ngongo, a for an unit based in

"They were a group of robbers who had come to invade a village that had already been abandoned. Our troops chased them and currently the is in control of the situation."

In 2003, a flareup of violence in triggered Operation Artemis, a three-month operation by the -- its first military mission outside The operation averted a humanitarian catastrophe, but the fighting never came to a total halt.

The full scale of the latest bout of violence in the remote province remains unclear.

On Monday, the CIK said "several hundred" people had died and 350,000 been displaced, nearly 50,000 of whom had taken refuge in the town of Added to this, it said, were nearly 65,000 who had fled to

The conflict is part of a broader background of violence and instability in eastern Democratic Republic of

Swathes of the territory are in the hands of militia groups, some of whom trace their origins back to two wars, from 1996-7 and 1998-2008, that drew in other countries in eastern and central

New conflicts are erupting in the east in a climate of political insecurity over the future of

In December, Kabila faces elections that have been twice delayed since his second presidential term -- the last under the country's constitution -- expired at the end of 2016.

Lusenge said the crisis in should not be used as "an alibi" to block the elections once more on the grounds that it would be impossible to draw up an electoral roll there.

Meanwhile, UN said the agency would try its best to raise USD 1.7 billion at a meeting in on April 13 to address the humanitarian crisis in the country.

Lowcock said more than two million children risked dying of and said about 4.5 million people had been displaced by conflicts raging across the sprawling country.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, March 14 2018. 02:45 IST