: A male elephant was today found dead in a farm near here amid suspicion that it could have been electrocuted after coming into contact with an electrified fence, police said.
Forest Department officials from Madukarai went to the farm and noticed it had an electrified fence.
They suspected that the elephant, about 25 years old, could have died of electrocution or due to any disease.
The animal may have strayed into the private pumpkin farm in Mathipalayam village, owned by one Chandran, to consume the vegetable, police said.
There have been incidents in the recent past of elephants and other animals being electrocuted after coming into contact with such fences.
In some instances, cases have been registered against farm owners.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)