You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Fire at BRD Hospital; principal's office, record room gutted

Press Trust of India  |  Gorakhpur (UP) 

A major fire today gutted the principal's office and an adjacent record room of the here, the fire department said.

No loss of life has been reported in the blaze in the hospital, which was in the last year after scores of infants died at the facility.

"Prima facie, it seems that the fire was caused by a short circuit," SP (North) Ganesh Saha said.

A committee has been constituted to probe the reasons behind the fire, T K Singh said.

Six fire tenders took nearly an hour to control the flames which destroyed important documents in the record room.

The had hit the headlines in August last year when 63 children, including infants, died within a span of four days when the supply of oxygen was allegedly disrupted due to non-payment of dues to the vendor.

The state has, however, vehemently denied that shortage of oxygen led to the deaths.

An FIR against nine accused, including ex-principal Dr Rajiv Misra, his wife Dr and nodal Dr Kafeel Khan, was filed by medical education (DGME), K K Gupta in station in and police have filed a charge sheet against them. All the nine accused have been arrested.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, January 08 2018. 13:51 IST