You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Fire at women's hostel in Vizag; all inmates safe

Press Trust of India  |  Visakhapatnam 

A fire broke out Safe Hands Ladies Hostel, a facility for working women, here in the early hours today. There were no casualties as some inmates saw smoke coming out from a ceiling fan in one of the rooms and immediately alerted others and evacuated the building. There were some 40 women inmates in the hostel, located near Asilmetta Junction under Three station limits, when the fire broke out around 1.30 am, a said. Fire department officials said short circuit on the top floor was the probable cause. Belongings of some of the inmates were destroyed in the blaze. Some inmates alleged that the fire department didn't respond quickly enough. N Gopikrishna refuted the allegation, saying timely action by firemen saved some lives. "We will serve a notice to the management for violation of safety norms and not having a No-Objection Certificate from the fire department," he said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, February 10 2018. 18:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU