You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Fire breaks out in a Gurgaon hospital, none injured

Press Trust of India  |  Gurgaon 

A major tragedy was today averted when fire broke out in a hospital here and gutted its general ward and the intensive care unit, but no one was injured, fire department officials said.

The fire broke out due to a short circuit in the general ward of the Sheetla hospital, situated on new Railway road, around 9.30 am and it spread quickly and engulfed the ICU adjacent to it, they said.


There were around 25 patients admitted in the general ward and the ICU, including 10 children, but they all were rescued as soon as the fire broke out by hospital staff and firemen. It took two hours for firemen to douse the flame.

According to eyewitnesses and hospital staff, flames started suddenly in the general ward, situated on the first floor of the hospital, following a short circuit.

Following which, the hospital administration informed the fire department, and fire fighters from Bhim Nagar fire station rushed to the spot.

"We have to use hydraulic machine to enter into the first floor of the hospital to evacuate patients. Our fire fighters safely took out patients, trapped in the fire within 15 to 20 minutes," Isam Singh Kashyap, fire officer, Gurgaon told PTI.

No one was injured in the incident, he said.

Fire officials said that short circuit could be the reason of fire and probe has been ordered.

Newly appointed deputy commissioner of Gurgaon, Vinay Pratap Singh started the probe. He has also directed the officials to initiate random checking of the fire safety measures taken by private hospitals in the city.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, July 14 2017. 21:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU