British pop superstar George Michael who died on Christmas Day was allegedly suffering from heroin addiction, it was reported today.
The 'Careless Whisper' star passed away from heart failure at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, aged just 53 and sources have now claimed the star "used heroin" and had been rushed to hospital earlier in the year for treatment after an overdose.
A source told the Daily Telegraph "He's been rushed to Accident and Emergencyon several occasions. He used heroin. I think it's amazing he's lasted as long as he has".
The news comes as PR chief Gary Farrow - a close friend of the 'One More Try' singer - told The Sun newspaper that "easy access to drugs" ultimately caused the death of the singer.
He said, "I believe easy access to drugs was the cause of his problems. I thought George was too bright to get involved with illegal substances, but once this disease gets hold of you it's hard to fight it".
According to sources, cardiac arrest - which was the cause of death according to George's manager Michael Lippman - is common among heroin users.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)