ALSO READNigeria finds Chibok girl kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 Multiple blasts blamed on Boko Haram kill two in NE Nigeria Bomb blasts kill 30 in northeast Nigeria; Boko Haram blamed Boko Haram ambush 'kills eight soldiers' in NE Nigeria Nigeria: Boko Haram is crushed, forced out of last enclave
It may take years to find all the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by the Nigeria-based Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, the country's defence minister warned today.
Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from a secondary school in the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014. Some escaped and 21 were released last year after negotiations with Boko Haram, but 195 remain missing.
Nigeria's military is searching Boko Haram's hideouts in the Sambisa Forest, a vast area covering parts of three states in the northeast, General Manir Dan Ali told Voice of America's Hausa language service.
He said even the US needed a long time to find Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks.
"It took the US up to seven, eight, up to 10 years before they could get to bin Laden," he said. "We are continuing our campaigning in the Sambisa Forest in all its nooks and corners."
Ali spoke after Nigerians last week marked the third anniversary of the schoolgirls' abduction.
Failure to find the girls would translate into a victory for Boko Haram, said Sheikh Nuru Khalid, a member of a group that tries to encourage peace between Nigerian Muslims and Christians.
"We can never allow the terrorists to win the war. If they got (away) free with those girls, then they have relatively won the war," he said.
The government needs to address the psychological trauma suffered by victims of Boko Haram, human rights lawyer Abdu Bulama Bukar told VOA.
"Married women have been made single again. Kids have been orphaned. Homeowners are without shelter," he said. "Nigerians have been turned into refugees in their own homeland.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)