India rejects Pak proposal for UN probe into LoC incident

Pakistan had yesterday denied that its troops were involved in the brutal attack

today outrightly rejected Pakistan's proposal for UN investigation into Tuesday's incident on Line of Control (LoC) in which two Indian soldiers were killed and the body of one was badly mutilated.

The issue figured at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS). Defence Minister A K Antony briefed the committee on the incident in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch sector on January 8 and subsequent developments.

"We are certainly not going to agree to internationalise the issue or allow the United Nations to hold an inquiry. That demand is obviously rejected out of hand," Finance Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference after the meetings of the Union Cabinet and CCS here.

Pakistan had yesterday claimed that its troops were not involved in the attack carried out inside the Indian territory in Mendhar area of Jammu and Kashmir and said it was prepared to hold investigation through the UN Military Observer Group in and Pakistan (UNMOGIP). UNMOGIP has presence on both sides of LoC.

"We take a serious view of what happened...Whatever has to be done will be done," Chidambaram said while describing the incident as brutal.

He noted that Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir had been summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs yesterday and a protest lodged.

Chidambaram, who is a member of CCS presided by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, asserted that Indian troops had committed no violation of the ceasefire agreement as claimed in a media report.

He said the conduct of the Indian troops was within the guidelines that were agreed upon by the two countries.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said the action of Pakistani troops was inhuman and the government had taken the matter seriously.

"It was inhuman. We have condemned it," he said.

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

India rejects Pak proposal for UN probe into LoC incident

Pakistan had yesterday denied that its troops were involved in the brutal attack

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

today outrightly rejected Pakistan's proposal for UN investigation into Tuesday's incident on Line of Control (LoC) in which two Indian soldiers were killed and the body of one was badly mutilated.

The issue figured at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS). Defence Minister A K Antony briefed the committee on the incident in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch sector on January 8 and subsequent developments.

"We are certainly not going to agree to internationalise the issue or allow the United Nations to hold an inquiry. That demand is obviously rejected out of hand," Finance Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference after the meetings of the Union Cabinet and CCS here.

Pakistan had yesterday claimed that its troops were not involved in the attack carried out inside the Indian territory in Mendhar area of Jammu and Kashmir and said it was prepared to hold investigation through the UN Military Observer Group in and Pakistan (UNMOGIP). UNMOGIP has presence on both sides of LoC.

"We take a serious view of what happened...Whatever has to be done will be done," Chidambaram said while describing the incident as brutal.

He noted that Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir had been summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs yesterday and a protest lodged.

Chidambaram, who is a member of CCS presided by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, asserted that Indian troops had committed no violation of the ceasefire agreement as claimed in a media report.

He said the conduct of the Indian troops was within the guidelines that were agreed upon by the two countries.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said the action of Pakistani troops was inhuman and the government had taken the matter seriously.



"It was inhuman. We have condemned it," he said.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

India rejects Pak proposal for UN probe into LoC incident

Pakistan had yesterday denied that its troops were involved in the brutal attack

India today outrightly rejected Pakistan's proposal for UN investigation into Tuesday's incident on Line of Control (LoC) in which two Indian soldiers were killed and the body of one was badly mutilated.

today outrightly rejected Pakistan's proposal for UN investigation into Tuesday's incident on Line of Control (LoC) in which two Indian soldiers were killed and the body of one was badly mutilated.

The issue figured at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS). Defence Minister A K Antony briefed the committee on the incident in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch sector on January 8 and subsequent developments.

"We are certainly not going to agree to internationalise the issue or allow the United Nations to hold an inquiry. That demand is obviously rejected out of hand," Finance Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference after the meetings of the Union Cabinet and CCS here.

Pakistan had yesterday claimed that its troops were not involved in the attack carried out inside the Indian territory in Mendhar area of Jammu and Kashmir and said it was prepared to hold investigation through the UN Military Observer Group in and Pakistan (UNMOGIP). UNMOGIP has presence on both sides of LoC.

"We take a serious view of what happened...Whatever has to be done will be done," Chidambaram said while describing the incident as brutal.

He noted that Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir had been summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs yesterday and a protest lodged.

Chidambaram, who is a member of CCS presided by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, asserted that Indian troops had committed no violation of the ceasefire agreement as claimed in a media report.

He said the conduct of the Indian troops was within the guidelines that were agreed upon by the two countries.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said the action of Pakistani troops was inhuman and the government had taken the matter seriously.

"It was inhuman. We have condemned it," he said.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard