You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Koregaon violence: SC dismisses Ekbote's anticipatory bail plea

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The today dismissed the plea of right-wing leader Milind Ramakant Ekbote, the prime accused in the January 1 violence in in which one person was killed and a large number injured.

A bench comprising Justices M B Lokur, and rejected his plea taking into account the submissions of A N S Nadkarni, appearing for Maharashtra, that 177 person were injured in the incident and was the "main person" instigating the mob.

"The case is pending against you. You are creating communal violence. What is this? You are spreading communal disharmony," the bench told the representing

During the hearing, Ekbote's said the state has already filed a status report before the court and the apex court had earlier granted him interim protection from arrest.

He argued that was not arrested till date despite the fact that he had gone to the police station five times.

When the claimed that the accused was not present at the spot at the time of violence, the bench said "You can create problems without sitting over there. Have you heard about A person sitting in the US can do it here."

The apex court had on February 7 granted him protection from arrest till February 20 and sought a response from the on his plea. It had on the last date of hearing extended the interim protection till today.

The government, in its affidavit filed through Nishant R Katneshwarkar, had sought dismissal of Ekbote's plea, saying "the petitioner has not been cooperating in the investigation by giving improbable or unscrupulous information which cannot be by any stretch of imagination relied upon. It is submitted that custodial interrogation is inevitable considering the peculiar circumstances of the present offence."

According to the police, a court in Pune had on February 6 issued an arrest warrant against Ekbote, who was booked for allegedly inciting violence on January 1 during an event to commemorate the bicentenary of the Bhima-battle.

A case was registered against and Sambhaji Bhide, who head the Hindu Ekta Aghadi and Shivraj Pratishthan respectively, for allegedly "inciting" violence that left a man dead near Subsequent protests had disrupted normal life in

The had on February 2 rejected Ekbote's plea. Before that, a had also rejected a similar plea by him.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, March 14 2018. 18:45 IST