Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed's application seeking a two-month extension of his medical leave in the UK has been "temporarily rejected" with the government asking him to submit his treatment-related papers.
Nasheed, who is serving a 13-year jail term on terror charges, was granted 30 days of leave, which expired yesterday, for a back surgery. However, the former President requested an additional 60-day leave extension last week.
On receiving the application, the Maldives government asked Nasheed to submit documents on the "progress of treatment" and the estimated completion date of the medical procedure pending which his plea was "temporarily rejected", official sources said.
The Maldives Correctional Service (MCS) said it needs additional documents to extend Nasheed's leave from prison.
The MCS medical board "has rejected the application as it is now, but has decided to extend a further opportunity to submit required papers," Mohamed Husham, the Commissioner General of Prison, was quoted as saying by the Maldives Independent.
The Maldivian High Commission in New Delhi, however, did not say his application was rejected but stated that, "former President Nasheed has been given more time, as stipulated under the regulations, to complete his application for medical leave extension."
"Documents missing as mandated under regulations include -- progress of the treatment and estimated completion date of the procedure," it said.
Nasheed, 48, arrived in London for treatment on January 21 after he was granted prison leave by the government to undergo an urgent spinal cord surgery.
Last week, Maldivian High Commissioner to India Ahmed Mohamed had accused Nasheed of misusing his UK visit to "deceitfully" tarnish the country's reputation.
The Maldives' Foreign Minister Dunya Maumoon previously has also accused Nasheed of using prison leave for publicity after he met Prime Minister David Cameron and held a news conference with journalists in the UK last month.