You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News

Malegaon blast: HC seeks NIA's reply on Purohit's bail plea

The today asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file its reply to an appeal by Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea.

A bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil posted the matter for hearing on November 16 along with the bail petition filed by a co-accused in the case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

The judges also called for original documents and case papers filed by the Anti-Squad (ATS) of police and NIA, the two agencies which had probed the matter.

In June 2016, the HC had dismissed an appeal filed by Purohit against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea and asked him to approach the trial afresh.

Thereafter, Lt Col Purohit moved the trial court, but the bail plea was once again rejected. Aggrieved, he approached the high court, which sought NIA's response today.

The high had earlier asked the trial to consider the new material in the supplementary charge sheet filed by NIA while hearing his bail plea.

Purhohit contended that the trial had not taken into account the new material in the supplementary charge sheet.

His lawyer Srikant Shivade argued that Purohit was in jail for more than seven years and, as NIA had concluded the investigation, he should be enlarged on bail.

The trial has consistently refused bail to Purohit since 2010. His last bail plea was rejected in October 2015, following which he moved the high court.

Purohit has claimed in his appeal that the trial should have appreciated that he has "an outstanding, meritorious record and that he risked his life to fight against across the country". He also alleged that he had been "framed".

Co-accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur too has moved for bail separately and the high has kept both the petitions for hearing on November 16.

Thakur was given a clean chit by the NIA earlier this year, but the trial refused to grant her bail. Her petition in the high said the lower had failed to take into consideration the change in circumstances.

On May 13, NIA had filed a supplementary charge sheet, giving a clean chit to six accused, including Sadhvi Pragya. It also said that the Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) was not applicable in the case.

Six persons were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a Muslim-majority town in north Maharashtra, in September 2008.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22
Business Standard

Malegaon blast: HC seeks NIA's reply on Purohit's bail plea

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

The today asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file its reply to an appeal by Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea.

A bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil posted the matter for hearing on November 16 along with the bail petition filed by a co-accused in the case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.



The judges also called for original documents and case papers filed by the Anti-Squad (ATS) of police and NIA, the two agencies which had probed the matter.

In June 2016, the HC had dismissed an appeal filed by Purohit against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea and asked him to approach the trial afresh.

Thereafter, Lt Col Purohit moved the trial court, but the bail plea was once again rejected. Aggrieved, he approached the high court, which sought NIA's response today.

The high had earlier asked the trial to consider the new material in the supplementary charge sheet filed by NIA while hearing his bail plea.

Purhohit contended that the trial had not taken into account the new material in the supplementary charge sheet.

His lawyer Srikant Shivade argued that Purohit was in jail for more than seven years and, as NIA had concluded the investigation, he should be enlarged on bail.

The trial has consistently refused bail to Purohit since 2010. His last bail plea was rejected in October 2015, following which he moved the high court.

Purohit has claimed in his appeal that the trial should have appreciated that he has "an outstanding, meritorious record and that he risked his life to fight against across the country". He also alleged that he had been "framed".

Co-accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur too has moved for bail separately and the high has kept both the petitions for hearing on November 16.

Thakur was given a clean chit by the NIA earlier this year, but the trial refused to grant her bail. Her petition in the high said the lower had failed to take into consideration the change in circumstances.

On May 13, NIA had filed a supplementary charge sheet, giving a clean chit to six accused, including Sadhvi Pragya. It also said that the Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) was not applicable in the case.

Six persons were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a Muslim-majority town in north Maharashtra, in September 2008.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Malegaon blast: HC seeks NIA's reply on Purohit's bail plea

The Bombay High Court today asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file its reply to an appeal by Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea. A bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil posted the matter for hearing on November 16 along with the bail petition filed by a co-accused in the case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur. The judges also called for original documents and case papers filed by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra police and NIA, the two agencies which had probed the matter. In June 2016, the HC had dismissed an appeal filed by Purohit against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea and asked him to approach the trial court afresh. Thereafter, Lt Col Purohit moved the trial court, but the bail plea was once again rejected. Aggrieved, he approached the high court, which sought NIA's response today. The high court had earlier asked the trial court to consider ... The today asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to file its reply to an appeal by Lt Col Prasad Purohit, a prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea.

A bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil posted the matter for hearing on November 16 along with the bail petition filed by a co-accused in the case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

The judges also called for original documents and case papers filed by the Anti-Squad (ATS) of police and NIA, the two agencies which had probed the matter.

In June 2016, the HC had dismissed an appeal filed by Purohit against the trial court's order rejecting his bail plea and asked him to approach the trial afresh.

Thereafter, Lt Col Purohit moved the trial court, but the bail plea was once again rejected. Aggrieved, he approached the high court, which sought NIA's response today.

The high had earlier asked the trial to consider the new material in the supplementary charge sheet filed by NIA while hearing his bail plea.

Purhohit contended that the trial had not taken into account the new material in the supplementary charge sheet.

His lawyer Srikant Shivade argued that Purohit was in jail for more than seven years and, as NIA had concluded the investigation, he should be enlarged on bail.

The trial has consistently refused bail to Purohit since 2010. His last bail plea was rejected in October 2015, following which he moved the high court.

Purohit has claimed in his appeal that the trial should have appreciated that he has "an outstanding, meritorious record and that he risked his life to fight against across the country". He also alleged that he had been "framed".

Co-accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur too has moved for bail separately and the high has kept both the petitions for hearing on November 16.

Thakur was given a clean chit by the NIA earlier this year, but the trial refused to grant her bail. Her petition in the high said the lower had failed to take into consideration the change in circumstances.

On May 13, NIA had filed a supplementary charge sheet, giving a clean chit to six accused, including Sadhvi Pragya. It also said that the Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) was not applicable in the case.

Six persons were killed in a blast at Malegaon, a Muslim-majority town in north Maharashtra, in September 2008.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard